Is the i7 950 OK at 54,53,53,50c at 0 load

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
I just got the i7 950 a while ago after using the stock thermal compound for about 15 mins I replaced it with a deep cool z9. Is it ok at the temp mentioned above at 0% load?

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

yes I checked, could you teach me how to properly put thermal compound think maybe its because I either put too few or too much

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
76c is too hot for just converting video, it's even a bit too hot in prime95 or similar. I suggest reapplying the TIM and carefully installing the fan again, making sure all push pins are securely fastened to the back of the mobo.

Don't forget to clean the heat sink off will some decent rubbing alcohol first.

suteck

Distinguished
Those temps are a bit higher then normal for stock speeds. Reasons? 1.) Stock CPU cooler for the i7 are barely up to the task. 2.) The cooler also depends on the internal temp of your case. If you take the side off of your case do the temps decrease? 3.) The termal paste should be applied in a line across the cpu, across the two cores, (latch to hinge on the cpu load plate/retention plate. (Video for direction) Artic silver is very good thermal paste. Here is something from there website on applying it. Go to page 5 for a pic of proper alignment and do NOT spread it. The line across the cpu will spread evenly across when you attach the cpu cooler. I like the Artic Silver "Ceramique" because it doesn't use metal and ceramic is a better heat conductor. This will help a little but the other 2 factors mentioned above play a big role in temps. Just so you know, the intel recommended max. operating temp is 67.5*C for the i7 chips. They will run at higher temps but you shorten the MTBF (mean time before failure) the higher you go. So, to answer your other question about damaging your processor - as long as you don't go above those temps you will be fine. Another thing, most boards have thermal regulation in the bios. This will slow the processor down to help keep the cpu from overheating if it is active. Real advice? Get a different cooler! If you don't like the temps you get with your stock cooler after trying the above mentioned things let us know, I'm sure you will get a few different preferences and suggestions about what to go with. And if so Don't forget to mention a price or we will suggest some really pricey stuff LOL. Hope this helps and let us know what you decide and how it works.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
You guys aren't completely understanding the deal here. The intel stock cooler has been tested and can handle the heat heat produced by the chip at stock clocks and voltage. Intel wouldn't package a cooler that puts it's chips out of thermal specs.

So either he/she installed the fan incorrectly, Put too little/too much TIM on, or has very bad case air flow.

A 90 plus degree room could do it too, but I'm doubting that's the issue.

suteck

Distinguished
LOL I don't see how we missed the point when I addressed the thermal paste, (type, brand, and how to apply), case air flow, dipankar2007ind asked about the room ambient temp and the video link addresses the insertion of the stock cpu cooler. And I really hate to break the news to you but the stock heatsink that comes with the i7 SUCK for keeping the temps down. I have yet to build a system (completely stock with no voltage increases including running the memory in XMP or turbo mode) that their cooler keeps within temp allowances while running OCCT or prime 95 with hyperthreading enabled stressed testing, and that's on a platform standing, not even IN a case. Of course I might just suck myself at applying the thermal paste, it is a possibility :pt1cable: . We agreed his temps are higher than normal at idle, stock settings and have given several different ways to try to get them to normal. So what are we missing or misunderstanding?? Sorry if I come off as a d%#k, I just don't know what we're not getting.

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
I live in The Philippines room temp is about 29c without air conditioner and 22c with airconditioner.

btw when I booted it up yesterday the heatsink didnt start so I needed to manually spin it before it started

Status
Not open for further replies.