Should I Reformat After Motherboard Install?

I am getting a motherboard soon and am wondering if I have to reformat my computer to work with the parts. I don't want to unless I will not be getting the full performance out of my computer, then I would want to reformat. But do you have to reformat after a motherboard installation?

My motherboard and hard drive is from a prebuilt computer by Gateway and will be changing the motherboard. The Windows 7 install was installed with the Gateway computer.
2 answers Last reply
More about should reformat motherboard install
  1. Windows may not start on different motherboard hardware, plus the existing installation will contain many drivers which are not relevant to the new hardware anyway, and only with a fresh install can you be sure that they are fully removed.

You might also need to call Microsoft for a new activation code, as a new motherboard is one item which can trigger the need to re-activate and it may not be possible to do that online in the usual way.
  2. Did you get a Windows CD with the compiter ? Chances are it's an OEM version and you may have diffaculty when you try to do a reformat after changing the motherboard.
    I would not reformat and just go for the change of boards, it might be a little problematic but if you keep trying to boot it will eventually boot and you can delete the chupsetdrivers from the old board and load the new ones.
    I recently had a big issue with a motherboard and was unsure if things other than the motherboard were damaged so I went out and bought a new board , cpu, ram and video cards and kept the hard drive with the OS. After several restarts with blue screens left and right I finaly got it to load and once it went to the desktop I was able to straighten out the drivers and it worked fine with no performance issues. I kept it that way for about a month and then I finaly reformated and reloaded once I got a new hard drive (SSD)
    Being a gateway I can't say for sure what you'll run into but at least you can give it a shot and worst case do a reload.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computer Motherboards Storage