Computer will not Boot up now

AttaGirl42

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I went on vacation so beforehand, I powered down my desktop computer and turned it off.; When I returned yesterday, I turned on the power switch and the fans all come on but it is making a loud click sound as it tries to boot up. I then get the message on screen to "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

I have an eMachine ET1331G-03w that is less than a year old. Runs Windows 7 64 bit5, AMD Athlon IIX2 235e Dual core processor.

I did make all the back up disks when I got this computer, but I don't think my hard drive is being detected so running these and wiping out all of my work would be a waste of time, wouldn't it?

Anyways, thanks so much to anyone that can offer me a solution!

Have a great day!

Check cabling hasn't worked loose, is drive reported in BIOS, if so, could just have lost boot sector.

If you have access to another pc, download, burn and boot off the free W7 recovery CD, it has the ability to correct this and more.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

AttaGirl42

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks for the replies! I only have access to a netbook and it does not have a CDC burner or player on it. So, I ordered a new hard drive yesterday and will install it. I've never had to do this before and I was wondering if I will be able to use the system restore disks I made when the computer was new? I am replacing the bad hard drive with a new identical one.
I made the restore disks as it suggested when I bought the computer and I have those but no windows 7 disk shipped with my system. I am just wondering how to load the new hard drive with the operating system and drivers and etc.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Leigh Ann

AttaGirl42

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Hello Again!

I just have a quick question. I ordered a new hard drive. It is the same brand, model and size as the dead one. I have all the disks I made when the computer was new and I'm wondering after I install the new hard drive, can I run these disks to get my operating system and drivers installed? Since this new hard drive is identical to old one? I plan on just leaving old hard drive unplugged but in the computer for now. I will be using the SATA plugs for the new one. I just need to know how to load the Windows 7 64 bit onto my new hard drive. I've done alot with computers but this will be my first hard drive installation.

Once again, any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!