VPN with diff subnet, cant access router

lasavior

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello,

This is my first time here and i tried scouring the search bar but didnt come up with anything quite what im working with (my apologies if its there. if so just kick me).

Anyways..

Heres my situation. I have a Linksys WRT54G router at home. I installed custom DD-WRT firmware on it which has a PPTP VPN built into the new firmware. The local IP range is 192.168.1.XXX on a subnet of 255.255.255.0

I have a network at work, stupid little netgear w/built-in firmware running an IP range of 192.168.0.XXX on a subnet of 255.255.254.0

(no i did not setup the office network but have the power to change it if really needed)

Now everything runs fine in the sense that i can connect to the VPN remotely via the office connection. It passes the internet through and my WAN IP changes to the home networks. The only problem is i cant access the local ip's of the home network through a web browser. From the office connection VPN'd into the home, im trying to log onto the home router via http, yet it times out every time (cant ping it either).

However when connecting to the VPN over 3G on my iPhone, i CAN open the browser to the home router. I can only assume it has to do with the local setup i have at the office is conflicting with it? or more possibly i simply dont know what the hell im doing?

I've tried Googleing the crap outa this to no avail. Any help would be appriciated.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
You need to change your local home network to a different IP address range. Your work network is 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.1.255, this overlaps your home network range, this configuration won't ever work unless you get crazy with some goofy NAT setup... easiest / best solution is just to change you home network to something that doesn't overlap. I'd try to pick something fairly unique that you won't have overlapping when you're traveling at hotels, work, friend's houses, etc. You have lots of options here, pick any RFC1918 networks. If you google RFC 1918 you'll find them all listed out.