Sign in with
Your question

Belkin Modem Router woes

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
July 7, 2010 3:00:51 PM

Hello there, I have posted this problem to Hardware Analysis.com and also contacted both Tiscali and Belkin tech support... no joy. So now here ;) 

I have a Belkin f5d9630-4 ADSL2+ Modem router which I am attempting to connect to a BT phone line and an active Tiscali 8mb broadband account.

Right. Firstly, the power, ethernet and wireless lights all come on, but the DSL light just blinks and never seems to connect to the line. I've tested the line and swapped filters, no problems there, the modem/router just can't seem to see the line!

I have noticed that the DSL socket on the back of the unit is an RJ45, however the RJ11 cable I use fits in and clicks into place. I have heard of dual sockets like this (that fits an RJ45 and an RJ11) but I'm still thinking this may be an issue.

Has anyone else had this problem or can theorise why I might be having this problem? Am I missing something obvious...?

Any help very gratefully received!

Byron T.
Anonymous
July 7, 2010 3:48:12 PM

"I have noticed that the DSL socket on the back of the unit is an RJ45, however the RJ11 cable I use fits in and clicks into place. I have heard of dual sockets like this (that fits an RJ45 and an RJ11) but I'm still thinking this may be an issue."

That doesn't sound right and the lack of connection seems to confirm it. I'd download the full user manual (it may also be on the disc which came with the router) and if no clue there speak to Belkin.
Anonymous
July 7, 2010 4:12:44 PM

Hi Fihart, thanks for your speedy response!

I've done both of those things and there is literally no reference in the manual concerning an RJ45/RJ11 discrepancy, and Belkin tech support has been as helpful as a chocolate teapot...

I'm losing the will a bit to be honest and may just return it! It seems like a very odd thing to be 'wrong'

The only other thing I can think of is an RJ45 to RJ11 adapter, as I know such things exist, but whether I can just plug that in is another issue!

Anyway, thanks again ;) 
Related resources
Anonymous
July 7, 2010 4:15:56 PM

I'd return it if only because it may not be an ADSL router but rather one for connecting to a separate modem (thus no connection). Plus Belkin Routers have a poor rep.

I'd always choose Netgear, DLink, Linksys first.
Anonymous
July 7, 2010 6:12:49 PM

Yep, good advice. I think since there seems to be no explanation I may do just that ;) 
!