Samsung 830 SSD on Dell Dimension E521, BCD issues

usawsn

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hi All,

I have a Dell Dimension E521 desktop purchased on 2006 and I upgraded the BIOS to Version 1.1.1 (Per Dell).

Recently I bought a Samsung 128G SSD and wanted to install the system onto the SSD.

I disconnected the HDD and connected the SSD for a clean install of Windows 7. First of all, I did not find the AHCI option in BIOS. Will this BIOS be okay for SSD installation?

Anyway, I tried a fresh install to SSD. It appeared okay at first and the system was installed. However, whenever I made a hardware change (driver installation) or software installation, and rebooted, it always failed on me. Like below:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
cause.
To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer
2. Choose your language setting, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair you computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer
manufacturer
for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I tried using the Win7 installation disk for the recovery. It worked once, but after a reboot, it again failed.

I then connected the SSD as the secondary drive and booted into the Win7 system from the HDD. I installed the Samsung Magician software. The problem was that the software did not show there was any SSD!

Is it also possible a defective SSD?

Very frustrated now. Greatly appreciate any help.

you should not do a full format on an SSD. And the Samsung software won't be able to see the drive since your board does not support AHCI. Personally I think it's a bit of a waste to stick an SSD in a system that old. But oh well.

You didn't reconnect the harddrive did you? What drivers did you install?

usawsn

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

Since the full quick format was already done, will that have any damage to the SSD? Can it be recovered?

You still believe the BIOS was too old? My concern is that the installation of Win7 itself was okay, the problem happened after software/hardware changes and re-booting.

For the hard drive, I did try to reconnect it back but took the SSD out because I still needed to use the Win7 on the HDD. When you say "drivers", what do you mean?

Appreciate your help.

becksy513

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
i just installed a OCZ vertex 120Gb in my e521 without a issue. i have my old HDD in as a storage. it still has win7 installed. you shouldnt need to install any drivers. not manualy anyway. drivers are the softwear support for your hardwear. like oil for a engine. i also have no AHCI mode but i went ahead and fresh installed anyway. when i ran the bench mark up in the left hand corner it states your driver. if it does not say IDE in there somewear than you are not on IDE. go to device manager and chect what storage controllers your using and post back