Secondary HDD Not Recognized

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Computer
  • Motherboards
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 24, 2012 3:07:29 AM

Hey guys. So I just did a fresh install of windows 7. I had heard that it is wise to only have your ssd connected to your mb during installation, so I unplugged my internal HDD's sata cable form my motherboard. I spent a day on the SSD, installed some updates, some small programs (Chrome, CCleaner, etc), and just set up the computer. When I got ready to plug in the hdd again, i turned off the comp, replugged the sata cable of my hdd iinto the motherboard and booted up. This is what happens: the computer hangs on BIOS for about a minute, then the screen goes blank for about a minute, then the windows startup takes about a minute, and then i can log on to windows. Now keep in mind, my SSD regularly boots in under 30 seconds, so I've become quite spoiled. After logging into windows, I go to the format utility, but the hdd doesnt show up. It should show up as an unallocated volume. Every time I boot, the same sequence described above happens, but the hdd is never recognized in windows or in format utility. If I unplug the hdd, the computer boots up regularly, under 30 seconds, andd everything is fine. I can even hear the hdd spinning up when i start my computer, but it just won't show up. Suggestions? BTW, custom pc, all drivers updated except Ethernet :p  Thanks.

More about : secondary hdd recognized

November 24, 2012 3:27:19 PM

The boot order in BIOS probably changed when you reconnected the platter drives. Go in there and make your new SSD the first boot option.
m
l
November 24, 2012 3:41:07 PM

The HDD is not recognized in BIOS....the computer is clearly reacting to the installation of the hdd, but it's not showing up in bios or in windows
m
l
Related resources
November 24, 2012 3:48:34 PM

"After logging into windows, I go to the format utility, but the hdd doesnt show up"
>> HDD or SSD isn't listed?
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
November 24, 2012 4:21:26 PM

if u don't see the HDD in BIOS, then either the cable isn't properly connected or there's a bad connection or the port is disabled or the drive is bad

have u changed to AHCI in the BIOS and not IDE whent he HDD is connected

are u sure the HDD works? did u try it in another computer?
November 24, 2012 4:38:38 PM

The SSD is listed and works just fine, the HDD just doesn't show up. Alright, I'll check the connection to the motherboard. I've also recently discovered major usb lag: whichever usb port i plug my usb drive into, it takes mor ethan 30 seconds to recognize the usb drive. I think all the lag (usb, boot up) is somehow related to the hdd, i just gotta figure this out.
m
l
November 24, 2012 6:52:37 PM

Best answer selected by exdetonator.
m
l
November 24, 2012 6:52:40 PM

Problem solved. I plugged the hdd into a sata 3gb/s port, and it recognized in windows. I formatted it, gave it a drive letter, name, etc. I shut down, moved the cable into 6gb/s port, booted up, everything worked out alright. No more usb recognition lag either. Thanks for the help.
m
l