Sign in with
Your question

Core i3 540 + gtx 460 = bottleneck without OC?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Bottleneck
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
November 7, 2010 3:29:14 PM

Hello,
I currently have an aging computer (core 2 duo e6300 on a D946 motherboard and 1 gig ram and a 500W psu). I am planning to replace the whole motherboard with an Intel H55TC Motherboard & Intel Core i3 540. I also plan on buying a GTX 460 786 MB card. a few questions:
1. Will my PSU handle this upgrade?
2. Will the cpu bottleneck the single card?
3. Whats the best Ram to buy for this congifuration?

Usage: Mostly gaming and surfing. Resolution will be only 1024x768 and occasionally 1080p. Is this good enough? Any suggestions are welcome! Budget Conscious :) 

More about : core 540 gtx 460 bottleneck

a c 105 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2010 3:43:50 PM

1. most solid 500w PSU can handle the GTX 460 but without you posting the specific PSU you can't tell.
2. in a few games you may have lower FPS then with a quad core but for the majority of games the i3 is more then enough.
3. 4GB of RAM is plenty, your mobo should list recommended RAM specs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2010 5:38:50 PM

I have heard some people have problems with that board/cpu combination so I would recommend the ASUS P7H55-M PRO for only $95 from Newegg. It also has onboard video so I would test it's capabilities first, then probably buy your video card. Also, this memory is compatible, the OCZ PC3-10666 Platinum RAM, with the asus board for only $95 from Tigerdirect and you can get a second set at a later date giving you a total of 8GB's of ram for future upgrades. Not sure what PSU you're talking about but this power supply , OCZ GameXStream 850W for $80 from Tigerdirect should be plenty for your purposes.
m
l
November 9, 2010 9:40:54 AM

suteck said:
I have heard some people have problems with that board/cpu combination so I would recommend the ASUS P7H55-M PRO for only $95 from Newegg. It also has onboard video so I would test it's capabilities first, then probably buy your video card. Also, this memory is compatible, the OCZ PC3-10666 Platinum RAM, with the asus board for only $95 from Tigerdirect and you can get a second set at a later date giving you a total of 8GB's of ram for future upgrades. Not sure what PSU you're talking about but this power supply , OCZ GameXStream 850W for $80 from Tigerdirect should be plenty for your purposes.

I researched a little, and checked out the power supply you suggested... it seems that my current psu (Hytech 450W psu) has two pins at the back, one for getting power from the mains and other for giving power to my CRT monitor, but all current psu seem to have only one output at the back? i am confused.. will i be able to use it with my Samsung CRT monitor? Also, i think i would like to keep my motherboard ready for an SLI upgrade later on and found this one to be nice MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
But the site says only i5 and i7 support, but its Lga 1156 so will it run core i3 540? could you suggest ram for this board too? Sorry My first time trying to upgrade my pc myself :)  No clue. Will i have to buy a new monitor?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2010 1:50:44 PM

You can follow this link giving you the supported CPU's for that motherboard but yes, it does support the i3,
Like this one Core i3 Clarkdale SLBTD i3-540 133 3.06 512K 4M K0 stepping 73w
And this one Core i3 Clarkdale SLBMQ i3-540 133 3.06 512K 4M C2 stepping 73w
But check your exact processor that you're looking at and check it against that list.

As far as the power supply unit having the 2 plugs on the back, you might find one with the out 115vac connector but you can always just plug your crt monitor into a wall socket. Use all the power for your computer from the psu it will be more efficient.

If you decide to get this motherboard you will need to get the video card you are looking at since that board doesn't have onboard video. It's a nice board and I'm not suggesting you not get it I'm just pointing it out. Also, if your crt monitor has a vga plug (looks like this) for connection to your computer you will need to get a vga to dvi or hdmi adapter to plug it into your video card. If you get this card from Newegg the adapter is included. Just check when you buy the card to make sure the adapter is included.
m
l
November 10, 2010 12:05:17 PM

suteck said:
You can follow this link giving you the supported CPU's for that motherboard but yes, it does support the i3,
Like this one Core i3 Clarkdale SLBTD i3-540 133 3.06 512K 4M K0 stepping 73w
And this one Core i3 Clarkdale SLBMQ i3-540 133 3.06 512K 4M C2 stepping 73w
But check your exact processor that you're looking at and check it against that list.

As far as the power supply unit having the 2 plugs on the back, you might find one with the out 115vac connector but you can always just plug your crt monitor into a wall socket. Use all the power for your computer from the psu it will be more efficient.

If you decide to get this motherboard you will need to get the video card you are looking at since that board doesn't have onboard video. It's a nice board and I'm not suggesting you not get it I'm just pointing it out. Also, if your crt monitor has a vga plug (looks like this) for connection to your computer you will need to get a vga to dvi or hdmi adapter to plug it into your video card. If you get this card from Newegg the adapter is included. Just check when you buy the card to make sure the adapter is included.

Thanks alot for your help :)  I asked my local computer dealer, and he provides the vga to dvi converter for $2 and a power cord for my monitor to be used on the wall socket for $1. So i have pretty much figured out my configuration and here it is:

Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.2GHz

MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Ram - ?

Power supply - ?

MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB

I Would be grateful if you could suggest the ram and power supply for this and i am all set :)  Thanks again!

EDIT: To not get this thread off topic, Will the current configuration be bottlenecked by the CPU? If yes, do i need to overclock it?~
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2010 2:14:37 PM

I'm kinda picky when it comes to memory. This is a link for MSI's QVL so you can pick anything you like from it. But you probably want to stick to the 2GB sticks, and then only the ones that are supported in both the 2 DIMMS AND 4 DIMMS columns so you can upgrade later. The top of their list says for reference only so I'm hoping that the ones they have listed have been checked are guaranteed to work on their board. I do like the CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C9. You can get them here from Newegg for $75. But if these work, (since their on the list), Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G that would be great. 4 GB's for only $67 on 1 stick from Newegg. Shoot one small upgrade at a time and you'll be to 16 GB's in no time, :lol:  (and since their ubuffered and non-EEC they should).

You mentioned the SLI upgrade in an earlier post. So when I was doing some checking on the board I came across this reference "If two graphics cards are installed at PCI_E2 & PCI_E4 slots, these two PCIE x16 lanes will auto arrange from x16/ x0 to x8/ x8" on MSI's spec sheet for your board. Just so you know it's not really gonna be 2 cards running on the X16's. (show stopper for me if I'm looking to upgrade later). I saw the 2 pci-e X16 lanes in the first link you sent me and said OK cool. But when I was looking at the memory and saw the 4GB stick listed as supported, I went checking to see if it needed a certain processor to support it, (which I didn't see by the way and made that one of my recommendations).

As for the power supply if you didn't like the one I suggested earlier then maybe you'll like this one better? It's a Corsair TX CMPSU-750TX ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply for only $106, I know but it's modular so it might fit better without the extra wires.

So let us know what your next steps are and if you have anymore questions we can help.
m
l
November 10, 2010 3:00:27 PM

suteck said:
I'm kinda picky when it comes to memory. This is a link for MSI's QVL so you can pick anything you like from it. But you probably want to stick to the 2GB sticks, and then only the ones that are supported in both the 2 DIMMS AND 4 DIMMS columns so you can upgrade later. The top of their list says for reference only so I'm hoping that the ones they have listed have been checked are guaranteed to work on their board. I do like the CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C9. You can get them here from Newegg for $75. But if these work, (since their on the list), Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G that would be great. 4 GB's for only $67 on 1 stick from Newegg. Shoot one small upgrade at a time and you'll be to 16 GB's in no time, :lol:  (and since their ubuffered and non-EEC they should).

You mentioned the SLI upgrade in an earlier post. So when I was doing some checking on the board I came across this reference "If two graphics cards are installed at PCI_E2 & PCI_E4 slots, these two PCIE x16 lanes will auto arrange from x16/ x0 to x8/ x8" on MSI's spec sheet for your board. Just so you know it's not really gonna be 2 cards running on the X16's. (show stopper for me if I'm looking to upgrade later). I saw the 2 pci-e X16 lanes in the first link you sent me and said OK cool. But when I was looking at the memory and saw the 4GB stick listed as supported, I went checking to see if it needed a certain processor to support it, (which I didn't see by the way and made that one of my recommendations).

As for the power supply if you didn't like the one I suggested earlier then maybe you'll like this one better? It's a Corsair TX CMPSU-750TX ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply for only $106, I know but it's modular so it might fit better without the extra wires.

So let us know what your next steps are and if you have anymore questions we can help.

@.@ Ahhh this is all so confusing! I am a newbie to all this! What would be your suggestions for a motherboard, keeping in mind, i'll upgrade the processor and graphics card on a much later date. Also what ram and power supply? I have a budget of around 500 give or take. Please suggest :(  My needs are specific~ gaming and watching movies at 1024x786 and/or 1080p.

P.S. You might what to take a look here.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2010 1:50:37 AM

Then you should be good with the latest board you picked out - good thing too cause I must have looked at 40 or 50 boards and none of the socket 1156 boards that I found run 2 pci-e X16 lanes for SLI or CFX.
So you have this board for $159
with this Processor from Newegg for $120
Adding this Corsair memory from Newegg for $70
Or was it this Kingston 4 GB stick from buy.com for $70 (that I like)
Along with this Corsair 750W modular PSU for $100
And last but not least, (actually the most expensive part LOL) is this EVGA 01G-P3-1371-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card from amazon for $200
This gives you a total of $640
IS This What You're Wanting to Get? Looks like a pretty decent system

Here are the web addresses for the parts assembled. I have noticed that a bunch of the links that I posted have quit working and it goes to the Tom's hardware "it didn't work" page.

MSI Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel i3 Processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair Memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or Kingston Memory - http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-valueram-4gb-ddr3-sdra...
Corsair PSU - http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-tx-750w-atx-12v-power-s...
Or this OCZ 850W for $80 - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
Here's the EVGA card I liked for $200 - http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-01G-P3-1371-TR-GeForce-256-b...
Or the one you liked For $235 - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... -
Does this sum up everything you are looking for? Anything else? I sure would like to be there to help you put it all together. The only thing I can see that you might try to cheap out on to get closer to your $500.00 target is the video card. You can get a halfassd card for about $100 but I didn't see anything I would recommend (and I don't know much about the nvidia chipset, I'm an ATI guy, unless you might can find an evga 9800GTX but if you want it new it's still gonna run you about $120.
Let us know if there's anything else or you have any questions about any of it.
m
l
November 11, 2010 2:38:49 PM

suteck said:
Then you should be good with the latest board you picked out - good thing too cause I must have looked at 40 or 50 boards and none of the socket 1156 boards that I found run 2 pci-e X16 lanes for SLI or CFX.
So you have this board for $159
with this Processor from Newegg for $120
Adding this Corsair memory from Newegg for $70
Or was it this Kingston 4 GB stick from buy.com for $70 (that I like)
Along with this Corsair 750W modular PSU for $100
And last but not least, (actually the most expensive part LOL) is this EVGA 01G-P3-1371-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card from amazon for $200
This gives you a total of $640
IS This What You're Wanting to Get? Looks like a pretty decent system

Here are the web addresses for the parts assembled. I have noticed that a bunch of the links that I posted have quit working and it goes to the Tom's hardware "it didn't work" page.

MSI Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel i3 Processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair Memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or Kingston Memory - http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-valueram-4gb-ddr3-sdra...
Corsair PSU - http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-tx-750w-atx-12v-power-s...
Or this OCZ 850W for $80 - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
Here's the EVGA card I liked for $200 - http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-01G-P3-1371-TR-GeForce-256-b...
Or the one you liked For $235 - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... -
Does this sum up everything you are looking for? Anything else? I sure would like to be there to help you put it all together. The only thing I can see that you might try to cheap out on to get closer to your $500.00 target is the video card. You can get a halfassd card for about $100 but I didn't see anything I would recommend (and I don't know much about the nvidia chipset, I'm an ATI guy, unless you might can find an evga 9800GTX but if you want it new it's still gonna run you about $120.
Let us know if there's anything else or you have any questions about any of it.

So this is what i have finally decided:
1. Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.2GHz

2. MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

3. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

4.CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W Figured it would be sufficient for now and upgrades in the future.

5. MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB

Only thing that remains is that i read i3 540 supports upto 1333Mhz memory, So i hope 1600 will not cause any problems. And can i overclock cpu to use the memory at 1600? Will it be a safe overclock? Thanks!

P.S. Ohh to get the hyper-links working, click them once, let the window saying does not exist open once, then come back here and right click and open link in new tab. It worked for me.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2010 3:53:19 PM

I followed your link and took the number off the memory (F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL) and it's not listed on the Qualified Vendors List. This might not mean anything to some people or you might be one of the lucky people but a lot, lot, lot of the time if it's not on the list it's not going to work on that board, (with the exception of Corsair's memory configurator for their memory that also comes with a guarantee that it will be compatible when it recommends some). Not only that but IF you're lucky enough for BOTH of those sticks to work you will have to be EXTREMELY LUCKY if you expect to upgrade in a couple of months/years to get 2 more sticks for the other slots to work. I'm not trying to be a killjoy here but I can't count the number of times people would ask on all the different forums - "can't get memory to be recognized", or system starts up and crashes after a few seconds". Some will recommend running MEMtest, one stick at a time just to find out that that particular memory is just not compatible with their board. Back in the day if it was pc100 or pc133 it would work in your computer no matter who made it or where you got it from. Most of the time it's even the same for the DDR2 memory to be cross compatible with 95% of all boards. Not anymore!! You don't have to get the memory I recommended but follow the link to the Qualified Vendor's List and pick something from there that is in both columns so you will be able to upgrade later. Obviously you can try what you like, but I find that when I stick to those lists, (& the Corsair's Configurator), that I never have run into those problems. And, sometimes as much as 4 months later I have been able to go back and get a second set from somewhere else to go from 6GB's to 12GB's with no problems. again, just my recommendation but it has always been tried and true for me.
m
l
November 12, 2010 12:16:43 AM

suteck said:
I followed your link and took the number off the memory (F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL) and it's not listed on the Qualified Vendors List. This might not mean anything to some people or you might be one of the lucky people but a lot, lot, lot of the time if it's not on the list it's not going to work on that board, (with the exception of Corsair's memory configurator for their memory that also comes with a guarantee that it will be compatible when it recommends some). Not only that but IF you're lucky enough for BOTH of those sticks to work you will have to be EXTREMELY LUCKY if you expect to upgrade in a couple of months/years to get 2 more sticks for the other slots to work. I'm not trying to be a killjoy here but I can't count the number of times people would ask on all the different forums - "can't get memory to be recognized", or system starts up and crashes after a few seconds". Some will recommend running MEMtest, one stick at a time just to find out that that particular memory is just not compatible with their board. Back in the day if it was pc100 or pc133 it would work in your computer no matter who made it or where you got it from. Most of the time it's even the same for the DDR2 memory to be cross compatible with 95% of all boards. Not anymore!! You don't have to get the memory I recommended but follow the link to the Qualified Vendor's List and pick something from there that is in both columns so you will be able to upgrade later. Obviously you can try what you like, but I find that when I stick to those lists, (& the Corsair's Configurator), that I never have run into those problems. And, sometimes as much as 4 months later I have been able to go back and get a second set from somewhere else to go from 6GB's to 12GB's with no problems. again, just my recommendation but it has always been tried and true for me.

I guess i will stick to the corsair memory you suggested. But the reviews scare me.
m
l
a c 94 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 12:29:06 AM

I personally would never look at qualified vendors lists and never had a problem. GSkill are a good budget memory manufacturer and ive never heard of any problems. I have used them a lot in my pc's without them being on a vendor qualified list. But having said that, if your new to things, it might be a good idea and offers some peace of mind.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 2:11:38 AM

If you don't like the Corsair memory from the reviews then let's find something else. I usually don't have any trouble with Corsair, that and it is the only 1600MHz on the list that's supported for all four memory slots. That's the only reason I suggested it. There is plenty of 1333MHz memory on the list. If you like the G-Skill - F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL is on the list and those are 4GB sticks each and you can get 2 X 4GB's here at Newegg for only $125. 8 GB's for $125 ? Damn I would have like to find something like that for my board when I spent something like $170 for for a 6GB kit. Or there's the F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK that are also compatible with all four slots, (even though it's a 6 GB kit filling only 3 slots) from amazon for $163. Don't buy something just because I suggested it. I'm trying to help you find stuff YOU want to put in it. Let us know what you like and we'll try to find it and if figure out if it works. What's your favorite brand? Let's see what they say is compatible in that brand.
As far as iam2thecrowe figures it, you can put anything you want in it and it will work. Course, I mentioned "This might not mean anything to some people or you might be one of the lucky people" and something about DDR and DDR2 memory working in what? 95% of all boards? And looking at his current configuration that's what he's running so yeah, that sounds about right. And I must be a little on the newb side of things cause I can't just look at any memory, weather it's 1.5v or 2.1v, weather it comes in 2,4,6,8 or 12GB kits and is dual or triple channel and is ECC, nonECC or buffered or unbuffered and know it's gonna work. I guess I like knowing when I buy something I get that piece of mind and KNOW it's gonna work. But that's just me the newbie.
m
l
November 12, 2010 2:21:30 PM

suteck said:
If you don't like the Corsair memory from the reviews then let's find something else. I usually don't have any trouble with Corsair, that and it is the only 1600MHz on the list that's supported for all four memory slots. That's the only reason I suggested it. There is plenty of 1333MHz memory on the list. If you like the G-Skill - F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL is on the list and those are 4GB sticks each and you can get 2 X 4GB's here at Newegg for only $125. 8 GB's for $125 ? Damn I would have like to find something like that for my board when I spent something like $170 for for a 6GB kit. Or there's the F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK that are also compatible with all four slots, (even though it's a 6 GB kit filling only 3 slots) from amazon for $163. Don't buy something just because I suggested it. I'm trying to help you find stuff YOU want to put in it. Let us know what you like and we'll try to find it and if figure out if it works. What's your favorite brand? Let's see what they say is compatible in that brand.
As far as iam2thecrowe figures it, you can put anything you want in it and it will work. Course, I mentioned "This might not mean anything to some people or you might be one of the lucky people" and something about DDR and DDR2 memory working in what? 95% of all boards? And looking at his current configuration that's what he's running so yeah, that sounds about right. And I must be a little on the newb side of things cause I can't just look at any memory, weather it's 1.5v or 2.1v, weather it comes in 2,4,6,8 or 12GB kits and is dual or triple channel and is ECC, nonECC or buffered or unbuffered and know it's gonna work. I guess I like knowing when I buy something I get that piece of mind and KNOW it's gonna work. But that's just me the newbie.

Hmm i found this on G.Skill site : http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=222

it seems that although the motherboard vendors haven't tested this ram, the ram company has said it compatible with this mobo. I am totally newb to this myself, just going around reading stuff and gathering info. I read somewhere that i3 doesn't support 1600 memory out of the box and i have to overclock it to get the memory to run. Will the overclock that'll be required to run this memory at 1600 and not bottleneck the gpu be safe on stock cooler and a hot enviornment~ ( ambient around 30~33 C ) or do i need to buy some extra cooling stuff or fans?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 6:13:26 PM

Usually if the memory company qualifies it for motherboard then it should be good. You gotta like a company that researches it's own product and posts it so you can have more choices. Can I ask though? Why that over the F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL cheaper 8GB's? Is it the speed? Anyway, the motherboard companies will only test so much before they put the boards out and very rarely will they make any modifications to that list.

It looks like you heard right about the i3 not supporting 1600MHz speed. Here is a Tom's Hardware link (won't let me make it so use this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275876-28-solved-core... ) discussing that very topic. Sorry if it's the one of the one's you already found but it pretty much explains it all. They should still run @ 1333 and be good if/when you upgrade your processor to an i5 or i7 down the road.

As far as the cooling goes, with ambient's around those temps will make it kinda warm. I'm not sure of the OEM cooling that comes with the i5's or how much heat they will produce while overclocking. Check around on the forums as see what experience clockers say.
m
l
November 13, 2010 2:40:18 PM

suteck said:
Usually if the memory company qualifies it for motherboard then it should be good. You gotta like a company that researches it's own product and posts it so you can have more choices. Can I ask though? Why that over the F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL cheaper 8GB's? Is it the speed? Anyway, the motherboard companies will only test so much before they put the boards out and very rarely will they make any modifications to that list.

It looks like you heard right about the i3 not supporting 1600MHz speed. Here is a Tom's Hardware link (won't let me make it so use this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275876-28-solved-core... ) discussing that very topic. Sorry if it's the one of the one's you already found but it pretty much explains it all. They should still run @ 1333 and be good if/when you upgrade your processor to an i5 or i7 down the road.

As far as the cooling goes, with ambient's around those temps will make it kinda warm. I'm not sure of the OEM cooling that comes with the i5's or how much heat they will produce while overclocking. Check around on the forums as see what experience clockers say.

The reason to get these ram over the 8gb ones is frankly the budget which is stretched as it is! And i guess the speed will help during future upgrades. Today i bought a 80 mm fan and tried them in a few combinations around my cabinet. Found them to work best when i put them in the back pushing air out. Cleaned my dusty cabinet too and lowered the temperature around 10*C o.o Hmm i was thinking of getting this : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028Y4S9K/ref=asc_df_B0028Y4S...

So with this i hope to be able to overclock my cpu modestly to be able to up ram speed and not bottleneck graphics card. What do you think?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2010 6:00:11 PM

The cooler looks like it might work for you. The reviews I found had more positive than negative to say so that's a plus. Just make sure you keep a good eye on the cpu temps while stress testing your overclock. If they pass the stress tests then you can usually count on it during normal usage cause nothing works a cpu harder than a stress test. After a while when you decide to do more overclocking and have reached the cooling max of that cpu cooler you can always change out the fans to higher cfm fans to keep it cooler. {Actually you can do that whenever you like and you have some spare coin just to 1,) see what improvement it will make and 2,) keep the processor at a cooler temp to increase the life span}. They're usually noisier, will probably only cost about $20 but will increase the cooling capacity for you. OH yeah, one of the reviews said that you need to make sure you point the air flow out towards the back of the case or they will only push the hot air around and not cool the cpu well.
m
l
November 14, 2010 11:09:33 AM

suteck said:
The cooler looks like it might work for you. The reviews I found had more positive than negative to say so that's a plus. Just make sure you keep a good eye on the cpu temps while stress testing your overclock. If they pass the stress tests then you can usually count on it during normal usage cause nothing works a cpu harder than a stress test. After a while when you decide to do more overclocking and have reached the cooling max of that cpu cooler you can always change out the fans to higher cfm fans to keep it cooler. {Actually you can do that whenever you like and you have some spare coin just to 1,) see what improvement it will make and 2,) keep the processor at a cooler temp to increase the life span}. They're usually noisier, will probably only cost about $20 but will increase the cooling capacity for you. OH yeah, one of the reviews said that you need to make sure you point the air flow out towards the back of the case or they will only push the hot air around and not cool the cpu well.

Thanks for the tip! i'll keep that in mind while i assemble the pc. Will order everything soon and put up how well it goes! thanks alot for all your inputs. really appreciated :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2010 1:26:37 PM

No problem - I have fun helping people have fun. Good luck and enjoy your awsome system! :bounce:  !
m
l
!