Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't stay on

Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2010 3:00:18 PM

The problem is that the computer will start for a random amount of time, it may be anywhere from a quarter of a second to a minute or so. When it does start up for a minute or so, I can get to the POST screen, and windows will start up, but eventually the system will shut off. The computer is an Asus Essentio CM5570-AP003, which I bought last christmas, whose specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core @ 2.60 GHz
Motherboard: Not sure, really... doesn't say on the motherboard, and I can't find my comptuer on the asus website.
Memory: 6GB DDR2 (3x2GB)
CPU cooler: stock
Primary Video: ATI Radeon HD 4770
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 750GB
Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W
and some random DVD drive.

I have upgraded my powersupply, to accomodate the gpu, which i did at the same time I bought the computer. I haven't changed a single piece of hardware since then.

I took out the gpu, and put the stock PSU back into the computer, but I get the same results. I have also unplugged power from everything but the motherboard, and I get the same results.

Unfortunately I don't think this motherboard has a speaker built into it, and I don't see any slot for a speaker to go into, so trying to listen to system beeps is impossible. The only problem I have found is that the CMOS battery was leaking a little bit, but I will be going soon to buy a new battery, however I don't think that is the problem. Hopefully someone has a suggestion as to what I could try? It has been working perfectly fine for the past 8 months.

More about : computer stay

August 21, 2010 4:23:24 PM

Maybe bad RAM? You can try booting with a single stick and see what happens, then add the others and see if it fails.

Actually the leakage of your CMOS battery could cause some issues as far as this site is concerned:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5436020_definition-cmos-batte...

Do you notice any corrosion on the MoBo near the battery?

I really don't know if it's 100% true since I have not found more references on the subject, but you'd better get a CMOS battery replacement as soon as possible.

Cheers

.C.
m
l
August 21, 2010 4:51:25 PM

I got a replacement battery, and i cleared off the leakage, but there was luckily no corrosion. It didn't leak very much at all. I'll try testing the RAM right now.

Tested it starting iwth no RAM, then i did them each individually and it all ended in the same result.

Its probably worth mentioning that I have ot flip the power switch on the power supply each time to boot it, and the amount of time that the power supply is off relates to how long it will stay on.
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2010 3:33:09 PM

I'd say it's the PSU then, but since you've tried two of them already it is quite unlikely.

Any chance you can get a Corsair of about 600 watts? Thermaltake's TPs aren't really reliable or at least that's what many folks say around here.

Probably the CPU is overheating, check if the CPU heatsink is firmly seated and if the fan works, if possible take them apart, clean the old thermal paste and apply new.

Finally it could be that the whole motherboard is going to hell, if possible borrow a working LGA775 Socket motherboard and migrate all of your hardware to check if it works.

Cheers

.C.
m
l
August 22, 2010 3:55:11 PM

I certainly wish I had a spare motherboard just laying around. I'll check the CPU heatsink and fan, but if that doesn't work, I'll just have to take it up to a local computer shop where im sure they have spare parts to test on.
m
l
!