Intel/AMD choices for Cpu and Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I am currently in the process of building my first pc. This pc is for photo editing (I do photography on the side), gaming, multi tasking, and slight video editing that might expand later on. I have a budget of around 1000$ and have posted a final build here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/298271-31-finalizing-1000-build#t2212606

I have been looking through this months deals though and have settled on not purchasing the rest of my components until cyber monday deals come around. My reasoning for this article is I would like to have 2 options for my cpu and mobo, both intel and amd.

I have looked at the i7 bloomfield that appears to be a ver strong cpu for 300, and I have been told by friends and family can be purchased for 200$ on sale on extreme sales. As for intel mobo I really have no idea, only that I would prefer it to have 3.0 usb and sli abilities.

Amd is the cheaper option by far. The black edition phenom II 965. Again on mobos I am clueless.

My goal here is to price out both an intel option and amd option that I can keep an eye on the horizon for. Thanks in advance for help TH forum viewers.

Solution
Budget is your main concern. I have to make some assumptions about pricing to give you some options. I'll assume you can find a closeout i7 1366 for around $200 cyber monday weekend, and a low end board for around $180. That would put you at $380 for that combo, either at frys or microcenter. Newegg will never go that low. Again, I recommend craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum for people unloading their used stuff. Let them spend full price for an Intel combo. For amd, go with the phenom 1075t and asus M4A785TD-V evo and go with a single video card. This will allow you to use a less expensive power supply (650-750 watts). This board is only $82 plus shipping; if you don't like it, you should be able to get most of your money back...
You really don't need much help. The newer boards have usb 3.0 and sata 6.0, but you'll pay about $50 extra for these options for either amd or Intel boards. If you don't need them, then an older 785 board will work for amd (newegg had one for $59.99 expires today). For Intel, I suggest you buy used. I found a 920 for only $150 recently and ended up offering the guy $100, and he accepted. Craigslist has both overpriced and bargain stuff; just do your homework first and be patient. Wait 3 or 4 days before offering a low price, and you might get lucky. The low end x58 boards work ok; ebay had some dell x58 boards for only $67 shipped recently.

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

Even though it is black november and cyber monday is right around the corner you think I should still buy used? Also what of the cpu?

I've bought two cpus used, including a 750 i5 for only $73. Both my used cpus worked great, and both overclocked well. I always look for bargains; they're out there. Frys has stopped it's free board with combo deals, so I had to adjust to save money. I bought eight of the combos earlier this year before they stopped selling them. But you have to be patient and wait for a great deal; don't jump on a deal just because you get the itch to buy now. IF you don't have patience, then buy a new amd phenom II, but not the six core. The price is still too high.

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I am not just asking about pricing though. I also want to just know component wise what people have liked in the past seeing as this is one of my first builds. I really have no preference amd or intel yet so I am trying to figure out an option for both.

You can make the board and cpu your first choice or the last choice as far as priority, and work around your budget, or continue saving until you have enough to build the system you really want. The phenom will work nicely. And even biostar has boards that will overclock with the right heatsink, ram, and power supply. I recommended used as an alternative, but luck and patience are factors; if you're in a hurry to build now, then stick with the phenom II. Newegg had an msi am3 board with sata 6 and usb 3 the other day for $80 in it's guerilla deals of the day. Hit the websites on cyber monday and maybe you'll find a board within your budget. Frys is my benchmark since I have a store locally.

Budget is your main concern. I have to make some assumptions about pricing to give you some options. I'll assume you can find a closeout i7 1366 for around $200 cyber monday weekend, and a low end board for around $180. That would put you at $380 for that combo, either at frys or microcenter. Newegg will never go that low. Again, I recommend craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum for people unloading their used stuff. Let them spend full price for an Intel combo. For amd, go with the phenom 1075t and asus M4A785TD-V evo and go with a single video card. This will allow you to use a less expensive power supply (650-750 watts). This board is only $82 plus shipping; if you don't like it, you should be able to get most of your money back on craigslist or anandtech. I like onboard video in case your video card overheats or has to be rma'd to the manufacturer for replacement. That combo is only about $280 plus shipping at newegg. I'm using Intel as they have overclocked easier for me personally, and the i3 has the graphics on the cpu itself plus hyperthreading. I'm not a gamer.

Solution

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Thanks so much for your help. I would love to get the i7 1366 because of the pure processing power in it but it seems like that will be a little on the pricy end. Do you really think I can find one for 200$ from microcenter? I have never heard of fry's btw.

Just one last quick question which does not apply to cpu or mobo, for video editing would you happen to know what graphics card would be the best bang for the buck? Preferably nvidia. The gtx 460 & 470 both have amazing reviews. just not sure.

For video card recommendations, I would list your favorite games. Others can tell you what the minimum video chipset you need. If you like a quiet pc, check some reviews at newegg even if you buy somewhere else. Fan noise is a big negative for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.