(SOLVED!) Possible MOBO issue, or is it VGA?

iceman703

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
System
Windows XP pro 32-bit, SP3
Asus p5q Pro Motherboard
Intel E8400 core 2 Duo 775LGA proc
Zotac 8800 GT Oc'd.....then an EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
GSkills ddr2 800 RAM, 2GBx2
WD 250MB HD
Xclio 600w PSU

THE BEGINNING

Anyway, some history. I built my computer in the summer of '09 and have ran it heavily. About 4-5 months ago, a fan died and I experienced opverheating issues and a few lock ups on my 8800 GT. I added cooling, increased fan speeds with rivatuner to correct the problem. System ran stable until this past month.

I began experiencing lock ups without any major overheating. Generally during a game of Rift or League of legends, the computer would lock, and the screen would trun into most many multicolored lines. I assumed this was my 8800 GT beginning to fail after age and the earlier overheating damage, so I under clocked the card back to stock as a stop gap measure.

THE MIDDLE

This worked for a time (about a week-2 weeks), and I began experiencing system instability again, occasional loss of shaders, polygon anomolies, etc etc. I ordere a different card and continued playing on the 8800gt, until it began locking the system again.

After one such lock up, windows rebooted with extremely low resolution and 8-bit color, as well as dotted blue/yellow lines across the screen.

The END

I assume at this point the card is dead, but I intermittently boot the computer to use the internet. On one such boot up, the POST screen has lines running down it very similar to the blue/yellows in windows. Oh no! Additionally, during post there appear to be....what i can only describe as "code" or "formulas" in about 5 columns running down the screen (i.e 1/4 :symbol: 3/5:symbol: :symbol:).

This problem persists, as well as the yellow/blue lines in windows, inability to "load direct3d" (league of Legends), CODE 10 "VGA adapter unable to start." I am still able to watch youtube, play Deus Ex GOTY windowed, run windows in high resolution/32-bit color.

Solutions I've tried:

-I have repaired windows.
-I have installed, uninstalled, reinstalled the proper drivers.
-I swapped out the original 8800gt, for a 8800gts, same result.
-I flashed/updated my BIOS, successfully.
-Swapped 6-pin power connectors to ensure VGA was powered
-Removed and reseated VGA cards
-Moved VGA card to second PCI x16 slot, same results.
-Prayed to the PC gods.

What I think:

I think My MOBO is either damaged, or failing, but I do not consider myself an expert. Before I go and drop money I do not have on an expensive MOBO and upgrades, I sincerely would like to hear second opinions, advice, or hear any similar experiences. I'd also like to be as sure as possible what the issue is.

Thank you very much!

Solution
The 8800GTS is a known working card? Since this really sounds like a bad card. Any chance of testing the cards in a different computer?

iceman703

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
While I had no way of testing the 8800 GTS, I did manage to borrow a BFG Tech GTX 275 from a friend. I popped it in, and no more lines! WOOHOO!

I'm surprised I got two cards that had exactly, or roughly the same problem! All the luck, I guess.

I'm so glad I didn't purchase a new MOBO, however!

Thank you for taking the time to read my problem! Happy 4th