Sign in with
Your question

New/prebuilt advice for newbie? (non-gamer)

Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2010 4:38:39 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week, sooner the better

BUDGET RANGE: $500 to $700

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Internet, email, music management (mediamonkey / itunes), podcasts, photo management, excel, word

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: wasn't planning on building this myself, was looking at computerlx, avadirect, pcsforeveryone, etc

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: thinking high end Athlon II or low to mid level Phenom II quad w/ minimum 4gb DDR3 memory using 2 slots and room to go up to 16gb ??

OVERCLOCKING: Noooooo

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I don't think I need this? looking for a basic video card maybe one step above integrated card. No gaming, don't care about 3D but would like the option of using 2 monitors for multitasking

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: would like windows home premium 64?

really doubt I'd be capable of putting something together myself (wouldn't know how to even load the operating system) so even if you could point me to one of the better sites who build these. Would like to avoid west coast companies for potential return shipping costs...

I'm sure I could get away w/ a decent HP from Staples but would like to avoid the bloatware and buy from somebody I can get support from w/out waiting 2 hours to talk to someone in India...

No interest in gaming or overclocking, just want something fast and reliable. Thought I had something decent put together on Computerlx, but really have no idea about motherboard compatibility, thermal paste (is non-conductive better in a dry environment prone to static?), video cards, etc...

any input appreciated! thanx!
August 23, 2010 7:33:05 AM

Prebuilds have garbage components...Microcenter has a huge sale going on right now where if you buy an AMD CPU they take 40 bucks off a mobo.And in some cases you can get the mobo free...Build it yourself and it'll be worth it's weight in gold. You selct components and you won't be ripped off!!
m
l
!