hot-stuck pixel on Toshiba laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 9, 2004 4:14:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

I have a Toshiba 509 P4 WideScreen laptop and since day one has had a tiny
"red speck" stuck pixel towards the lower left bottom of the screen. While
it is noticible only in black spots that are in that area it still bothers
me none the less. Is this repairable and does anyone have any expereince or
solutions that may help??

thanks in advance,
Ray

a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 4:14:33 AM

Ray wrote:
> I have a Toshiba 509 P4 WideScreen laptop and since day one has had a
> tiny "red speck" stuck pixel towards the lower left bottom of the
> screen. While it is noticible only in black spots that are in that
> area it still bothers me none the less. Is this repairable and does
> anyone have any expereince or solutions that may help??
>
> thanks in advance,
> Ray

Hot pixels can disappear or stay hot for the duration. There is
absolutely nothing that can be done and since it is one pixel there is
no recourse with the vendor.

a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 4:14:33 AM

"Ray" <vze2995vnospam@verizon.net> writes:
>I have a Toshiba 509 P4 WideScreen laptop and since day one has had a tiny
>"red speck" stuck pixel towards the lower left bottom of the screen. While
>it is noticible only in black spots that are in that area it still bothers
>me none the less. Is this repairable and does anyone have any expereince or
>solutions that may help??

I've got an Advan lcd monitor with a BRILLIANT green pixel
stuck on in just about the middle of the screen. Making
my desktop a less glaring shade of green helps some.

But I've thought it might be possible to find a marking pen
or grease pencil that wouldn't dissolve the surface of the
monitor and would let me put a tiny dark dot in front of the
little guy, just to tone him down a bit and get him to stop
glaring at me.

I've searched for suggestions of what to use and had no success.
Related resources
December 9, 2004 4:57:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

Yes i figured that nothing could be done on the vendor part. I guess I can
live with it but was wondering if a repair of this flaw would be possible
via Toshiba SC, and I guess at my expense.

ray

"Ray" <vze2995vnospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have a Toshiba 509 P4 WideScreen laptop and since day one has had a tiny
>"red speck" stuck pixel towards the lower left bottom of the screen. While
>it is noticible only in black spots that are in that area it still bothers
>me none the less. Is this repairable and does anyone have any expereince or
>solutions that may help??
>
> thanks in advance,
> Ray

a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 6:48:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

The only way to fix it is to replace the entire panel. In general, the
replacement panel may have one (or more) bad pixels also. Toshiba will
not consider this a defect. Each mfgr. has their own defect critera for
LCD panels, but ALL of them allow at least several bad pixels before the
panel is considered defective. Some of these policies allow up to about
2 dozen bad pixels before the panel is considered defective. The bottom
line is that "perfect" LCD panels are not guaranteed by any vendors.

Ray wrote:
> I have a Toshiba 509 P4 WideScreen laptop and since day one has had a tiny
> "red speck" stuck pixel towards the lower left bottom of the screen. While
> it is noticible only in black spots that are in that area it still bothers
> me none the less. Is this repairable and does anyone have any expereince or
> solutions that may help??
>
> thanks in advance,
> Ray

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 6:49:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

The cost of replacing the panel is hundreds of dollars.

Ray wrote:

> Yes i figured that nothing could be done on the vendor part. I guess I can
> live with it but was wondering if a repair of this flaw would be possible
> via Toshiba SC, and I guess at my expense.
>
> ray
>
> "Ray" <vze2995vnospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have a Toshiba 509 P4 WideScreen laptop and since day one has had a tiny
>>"red speck" stuck pixel towards the lower left bottom of the screen. While
>>it is noticible only in black spots that are in that area it still bothers
>>me none the less. Is this repairable and does anyone have any expereince or
>>solutions that may help??
>>
>>thanks in advance,
>>Ray
>>
>>--

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 10, 2004 5:01:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

In article <YFNtd.110$sU4.24@trndny01>, vze2995vnospam@verizon.net
says...
> I have a Toshiba 509 P4 WideScreen laptop and since day one has had a tiny
> "red speck" stuck pixel towards the lower left bottom of the screen. While
> it is noticible only in black spots that are in that area it still bothers
> me none the less. Is this repairable and does anyone have any expereince or
> solutions that may help??

I bought the 17" Wide screen 526 from Circuit City, had to check three
boxes before I got one without ANY bad pixels. Toshiba, like others, has
a policy about X bad pixels before they will repair the unit, but CC has
a unconditional 14 day return policy.

I would never accept a single bad pixel from any vendor under any
conditions (except a free laptop).

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
December 12, 2004 5:26:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

Now I know. I should have checked the laptop there in Compusa. I am stuck
with it now. I love the damn thing but the red speck drives me crazy as
sometimes it stays lit for months and sometimes will go out on occasion. I
have tried the "rub" technique, and it is only a brief fix as it ususally
comes right back.

thanks everyone,

Ray

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> In article <YFNtd.110$sU4.24@trndny01>, vze2995vnospam@verizon.net
> says...
>> I have a Toshiba 509 P4 WideScreen laptop and since day one has had a
>> tiny
>> "red speck" stuck pixel towards the lower left bottom of the screen.
>> While
>> it is noticible only in black spots that are in that area it still
>> bothers
>> me none the less. Is this repairable and does anyone have any expereince
>> or
>> solutions that may help??
>
> I bought the 17" Wide screen 526 from Circuit City, had to check three
> boxes before I got one without ANY bad pixels. Toshiba, like others, has
> a policy about X bad pixels before they will repair the unit, but CC has
> a unconditional 14 day return policy.
>
> I would never accept a single bad pixel from any vendor under any
> conditions (except a free laptop).

> spamfree999@rrohio.com
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)
December 12, 2004 2:24:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

"Ray" <vze2995vnospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have a Toshiba 509 P4 WideScreen laptop and since day one has had a tiny
>"red speck" stuck pixel towards the lower left bottom of the screen. While
>it is noticible only in black spots that are in that area it still bothers
>me none the less. Is this repairable and does anyone have any expereince or
>solutions that may help??
>
> thanks in advance,
> Ray
>
> --

Ray,

A couple of suggestions.

1. If is shared video memory you might want to swap the memory cards to see
if the problem moves.

2. use a video test utility to exercise the heck out of the display for 5
minutes or so and see if that helps.

Henry
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 16, 2004 8:14:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

Henry wrote:
> "Ray" <vze2995vnospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I have a Toshiba 509 P4 WideScreen laptop and since day one has had
>> a tiny "red speck" stuck pixel towards the lower left bottom of the
>> screen. While it is noticible only in black spots that are in that
>> area it still bothers me none the less. Is this repairable and does
>> anyone have any expereince or solutions that may help??
>>
>> thanks in advance,
>> Ray
>>
>> --
>>
> Ray,
>
> A couple of suggestions.
>
> 1. If is shared video memory you might want to swap the memory cards
> to see if the problem moves.
>
> 2. use a video test utility to exercise the heck out of the display
> for 5 minutes or so and see if that helps.
>

> Henry

Henry, would a video card problem be the case if the "rub" technique to
which he refers works, even briefly?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 17, 2004 12:52:09 AM

"LittleMac" <NOSPAM@nospam.net> wrote in message

> Henry, would a video card problem be the case if the "rub" technique to
> which he refers works, even briefly?

Duff pixels are almost certainly due to the LCD not the video card.

Silicon chips are small and far cheaper to make than LCDs.

If a chip is faulty, it is no problem to recycle a few sq. mm of silicon.

The yields of perfect LCD panels are so low that manufacturers have had to
resort to selling panels with a handful of duff pixels, just for economic
practicality.

The fact that it has been in there from day one indicates that the laptop
makers knew it was there when they built it. The warranty will probably say
that they will only replace the LCD if more than a certain number of pixels
are duff.
December 17, 2004 8:15:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

Your rub solution will "briefly" change the display on a good display !

And to be shure... very few display panels are without fault.

one bad memory bit can cause problems in the same pixel.

I meerly offered a couple of sugestions.

Henry
December 26, 2004 8:37:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

Thanks for all the replies. Strangely enough I have been using my laptop all
morning today and cannot find the stuck pixel. I am pretty sure it will come
back but it has been a coupe of hours now with no sign of it. This has
happened before but it usually comes out after several minutes of the laptop
being on.

thanks again,