I am considering using the P4 3.0 from my son's now cannibalized computer to replace the P4 2.4 in my desktop both same mobo, both xp Pro sp3. My question is what are the odds of having to do a Windows repair. I am getting conflicting info while surfing the web. Please Help. Thanks
Windows should have no issue with the change in CPU, however it's possible your motherboard will.
As far as I recall, the 2.4GHz Pentium 4s are 533MHz FBS models, the 3GHz and above introduced Hyperthreading and 800MHz FSB.
If this is the case, if you're lucky you'll be OK, more than likely you'll need a BIOS update on your motherboard to recognise the CPU. It's possible however that you can't actually use the CPU at all. Then there's the dual-channel RAM issue, but we'll worry about that later.
Get the model numbers for the 3GHz P4 and motherboard and check the CPU support list on the motherboard manufacturer's website.
I had a pentium 2.4 with hyperthreading and changed it out with a 3.0. Both had hyperthreading and both were 800MHz FSB. I didn't have any problems using an Asus P4P800SE motherboard. No guarantees, You just gotta take a chance and see. Don't forget to have good thermal paste handy for the switch and switchback if it doesn't work.
Thanks for the replies. The motherboard(s) are infact Asus P4P800SE's. The 2.4 has no hyperthreading I assuming 533 FSB. The 3.0 has the hyperthreading and is 800 FSB. As suggested I'll worry about the dual channel RAM issue later (???). Sounds like the odds are pretty good I won't have to do the repair install. Last question is ... is the increase in performance worth the trouble for someone who just surfs the web, pays bills online, business invoices, quicken, downloads music, watches the occasional movie..NO GAMING. Other system details (2)X512MB DDR RAM, 512MB AGP Card... all about 4 years old. Thanks again for the help
Thats what I was thinking suteck. Thanks for confirming. I actually grabbed the mobo (same) and 3.0 P4 from my other son's discarded computer for a HTPC build now residing in the living room under the TV, in which I did a clean install of XP. And this computer seems to be a little more snappy compared to the one in my office. The hesitation I have with just jumping in and doing the swap, is that I have a Happy Stable System right now and the old adage : "if its not broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. If it comes down to a repair install do I need a XP SP3 recovery disc, or will the SP2 disc do the trick? And do I have to locate the product key? Thanks Again for the help.
There are tools available to retrieve your serial. Magic Jellybeans or something is one if them. Thinking about it, you'll probably have to reactive Windows with a change of CPU.
As far as the CPU goes, Hyperthreading on the P4 was shocking and didn't give much benefit - certainly I don't see much on mine - but the extra 600MHz, faster FSB and dual-channel RAM will see you a nice boost.
You have a matched pair of DIMMs so dual-channel RAM will work, assuming your motherboard has it.
Yep, that's always the question ain't it? First off - if you already have it up and running and seems a bit more snappy why don't you use it? (or did I read that wrong?) But part of the reason might be because it is a fresh install without all the junk clogging it up (yet). Before you do any swapping out you need to make sure you have some thermal paste around. You're going to need it to re-seat the cooler on the exchanged cpu. As far as "if it ain't broke" Doesn't mean you can't change the spark plugs. There is the chance of it crashing but it should be slim. (Yeah, easy for me to say right?) As far as the recovery disk goes the first question is did you back up all your needed information on a disk(s)? You know, your personnel information and stuff? You should. And you should create a boot/startup disk/floppy as this might help in getting it to restart if it does have problems. You might need the actual Win XP Operating System disk (whatever SP is on that is sufficient to start with and if another service pack is required it will show up as an update later). You shouldn't need the product key if your using it as a repair disk, BUT, if it won't recover you will have to do a fresh install and then you will need that key. It should be either on the disk or on a sticker on the actual computer case. If you don't have that key you should just leave everything alone cause then you could end up with a brick screaming piracy every time you turn it on. I wish I could give you guarantees but you have a 50/50 chance. It should work with just a quick comment during start up that the system configuration has changed press F1 to continue like mine did but again no guarantees. If your concerned about the hyperthreading that shouldn't be a problem since the board supports it. Or you might be able to go into the bios during startup and disable it. Get a good boot and everything looks fine, then you can go in on a later restart and re-enable it. But I really don't think you're going to have any problems. You can always turn it off real quick if it looks like trouble and restore the old processor. I don't know, easy call for me cause I already did it and am happy with it. In fact, my daughter is still using it. I put 4 gigs of memory in it, only uses 3.25 of course but who cares? I put an ATI X1900 pro video card in it with 512 ram, bumped up the power supply to 450W to support the vid card and it is running windows 7 ultimate nice and smooth. Of course she mainly surfs the net, updates her facebook and downloads pics on it and every now and then might do some homework in word and excell but it runs great. Anyway, all that talking just to say it's a chance you're going to have to decide on. Please let me know what you decide and when it works let us know - of course if it don't you won't be able to for a while I guess. sorry bad joke,
I do recall having to retrieve the serial before; I may still have the program somewhere on the computer. I hate jumping through hoops to appease the MS Overlords just because I'm swapping the Cpu, but I would like to have this old dog of a computer working at it's full potential. I'll give it a shot in the next couple of days. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all the help. Oh, yes one last question... can I do a SP3 reactivation, with a SP2 disc, without having to reload years worth of updates from MS?
NOPE, You must bow and pay homage to the software spooks as well as re-download and re-install all missing updates. And you should hurry since they're discontinuing support for win XP in the near future.
Forget the last question. suteck anwered it. And yes, I do have plenty of thermal paste laying around. I'll do a fresh back-up to my second drive thanks for the reminder. My feeling is that it should go with out a hitch. But this could be just naive optimism.
Thanks again folks. I'll get back to you in a few days.
Well I finally did the deed over the weekend, without a glitch. When I first booted with the new processor, the POST screen said something like " bios updates are incorrect". I was booting into bios anyway and once it opened all the settings had automatically adjusted for the 3.0 prescott including enabling hyperthreading.
I want to thank all the contributors for all the sound advice.... slipstreaming sp3, backing up disc, using jelly bean to find my product key, updating bios, etc.,.
Hi, just another update for anybody that might be interested. Had one glitch, though I guess minor, that I encountered yesterday while updating and syncing my Zune. I discovered after an hour of frustration that when I changed the processor, that I needed to reset my DRM settings. found a website that guides you through the process, I'll leave the link below for any who might someday need it.