4GB (2GB usable)

Hello,

Windows is telling me I have 4GB of ram but 2GB is only usable. This shouldn't happen since I have a 64bit OS.


I have tried:
Turning off the Maximum Memory option in MSCONFIG
Reformat
Memcheck
Tried with Memory Remapping on and off in BIOS

Here is a screenshot of my Resource Monitor



I really don't know what else to do.


I have Windows 7 64bit
Intel i7 870 @ 3.0GHz
ATI 5770 1GB

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Ricky
12 answers Last reply
More about usable
  1. It's the "Hardware Reserved 2050 MB" that is using up the memory. My system only reports 2 MB there.
  2. DXRick said:
    It's the "Hardware Reserved 2050 MB" that is using up the memory. My system only reports 2 MB there.


    Hey there thanks for your reply. Can that be fixed or does that stay like that forever?
  3. I don't know. What is your motherboard? Read the manual to see if it is a BIOS setting.
  4. What's going on is that the BIOS has determined the RAM is malfunctioning for reasons unknown: 1. Bad Stick, 2. Bad BIOS setting, 3. (MSCONFIG Max Memory), 4. DIMM Slot failure.

    To help the following is needed:
    1. MOBO?
    2. RAM? I prefer a link to your EXACT RAM.
    3. What DIMM Slots are you using?
  5. jaquith said:
    What's going on is that the BIOS has determined the RAM is malfunctioning for reasons unknown: 1. Bad Stick, 2. Bad BIOS setting, 3. (MSCONFIG Max Memory), 4. DIMM Slot failure.

    To help the following is needed:
    1. MOBO?
    2. RAM? I prefer a link to your EXACT RAM.
    3. What DIMM Slots are you using?


    MOBO - ASUS P7P55D-E
    Ram - Kingston 4G(2x2G)2000Mhz PC16000 DDR3 CL9 HyperX
    http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=153&bid=2&sid=50822
    DIMM Slots - I do not know.
  6. You can try AI OC Tuner-> 'XMP' but I wouldn't with 2000 MHz RAM.

    KHX2000C9D3T1K2/4GX -> http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/PartsInfo.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com&ktcpartno=KHX2000C9AD3T1K2/4GX
    2000 MHz 9-11-9-27-2N @ 1.65v

    CPU-z info -> http://forums.ocworkbench.com/showthread.php?t=113139

    BIOS
    AI OC Tuner -> DOCP
    DRAM OC Profile -> DDR3-2000MHz
    DRAM Timing Control -> Manual
    DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9 **
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 11
    DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9 **
    DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 27 **
    --
    DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
    --
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.65v **
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.35v

    ** IF the CAS Fails then use 11-11-11-30-2N @ 1.68v

    Let me know! The settings are correct, the question is can your MOBO + CPU run it...

    just got back from movie - don't waste your $ on Bad Teacher it sucks!
  7. jaquith said:
    You can try AI OC Tuner-> 'XMP' but I wouldn't with 2000 MHz RAM.

    KHX2000C9D3T1K2/4GX -> http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/PartsInfo.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com&ktcpartno=KHX2000C9AD3T1K2/4GX
    2000 MHz 9-11-9-27-2N @ 1.65v

    CPU-z info -> http://forums.ocworkbench.com/showthread.php?t=113139

    BIOS
    AI OC Tuner -> DOCP
    DRAM OC Profile -> DDR3-2000MHz
    DRAM Timing Control -> Manual
    DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9 **
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 11
    DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9 **
    DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 27 **
    --
    DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
    --
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.65v **
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.35v

    ** IF the CAS Fails then use 11-11-11-30-2N @ 1.68v

    Let me know! The settings are correct, the question is can your MOBO + CPU run it...

    just got back from movie - don't waste your $ on Bad Teacher it sucks!



    Just entered those values in BIOS. Everything seems normal what was that meant to do?
  8. What do you mean? Is the problem corrected?
  9. jaquith said:
    What do you mean? Is the problem corrected?



    No the problem sadly is not fixed.

    I tried the 11-11-11-30-2N @ 1.68v configuration but still the same result.
  10. Keep in mind one of those sticks may be bad. Next is a BCLK OC vs DOCP, and is the way to also OC your CPU. You could try DRAM = 1.70v & QPI = 1.40v and it may work but long-term isn't my #1 choice for the rig.

    BIOS
    AI OC Tuner -> Manual

    // http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41315 2930 / 133 = 22 stock
    // 2930 / 160 = 18.3 assuming you prefer to have your CPU running just above stock vs below; 19
    // 19 X 160 = 3040 or 3.04GHz

    CPU Ratio -> 19
    BCLK Frequency -> 160 MHz
    DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-2000MHz ; possible problem '2000' might not be listed, 2008 might or not at all. Q - What values are available? This varies on every MOBO.

    DRAM Timing Control -> Manual
    DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9 **
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 11
    DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9 **
    DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 27 **
    --
    DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
    --
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.65v **
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.35v

    ** IF the CAS Fails then use 11-11-11-30-2N @ 1.68v

    ----
    edit Failure tests below
    ----
    Failure: Try the other 2 DIMM Slots {Black}

    Failure: Try 1 stick at a time; if one fails and one works then the 'failure' is a bad stick.

    Failure: Try 1600 MHz @ 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.65v

    Failure: RMA {return RAM} and IMO get a 1600 MHz Set instead. The 2000 MHz add maybe 1-2% but they're all a headache.

    Let me know.
  11. jaquith said:
    Keep in mind one of those sticks may be bad. Next is a BCLK OC vs DOCP, and is the way to also OC your CPU. You could try DRAM = 1.70v & QPI = 1.40v and it may work but long-term isn't my #1 choice for the rig.

    BIOS
    AI OC Tuner -> Manual

    // http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41315 2930 / 133 = 22 stock
    // 2930 / 160 = 18.3 assuming you prefer to have your CPU running just above stock vs below; 19
    // 19 X 160 = 3040 or 3.04GHz

    CPU Ratio -> 19
    BCLK Frequency -> 160 MHz
    DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-2000MHz ; possible problem '2000' might not be listed, 2008 might or not at all. Q - What values are available? This varies on every MOBO.

    DRAM Timing Control -> Manual
    DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9 **
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 11
    DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9 **
    DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 27 **
    --
    DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
    --
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.65v **
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.35v

    ** IF the CAS Fails then use 11-11-11-30-2N @ 1.68v

    ----
    edit Failure tests below
    ----
    Failure: Try the other 2 DIMM Slots {Black}

    Failure: Try 1 stick at a time; if one fails and one works then the 'failure' is a bad stick.

    Failure: Try 1600 MHz @ 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.65v

    Failure: RMA {return RAM} and IMO get a 1600 MHz Set instead. The 2000 MHz add maybe 1-2% but they're all a headache.

    Let me know.


    Tried Try 1600 MHz @ 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.65v did not work. I will test the sticks now. How do I do this? What slot do I put the stick in to test.
  12. If you're still having failures with (1) stick and BIOS Default there's nothing to test, RMA {return} the kit and exchange for a 1600 MHz set.

    Kingston -> http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/hyperx_us/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=59791
    Corsair -> http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1330513
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory