Asus Xonar DX -- too quiet recording

Connloyalist

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I would like some advice please.

Last year when I bought a new computer (Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H based) I added a Creative X-Fi sound card (PCI-E, I forget the exact model). After a few months the device drivers were giving me all sorts of problems and Creative "forgot" about this model sound card. So I ditched it and went with an Asus Xonar DX.

There is much to love about the Xonar DX. First, the drivers work! The sound quality is great, as long as you don't want midi playback..... which I do now and then, but I can live with that.

The real problem is this. I regularly record LP records (vinyl) and cassette tapes by connecting my stereo line-out to the sound card line-in. On the motherboard's built-in sound card, the recording volume was fine (tested that). On the Creative X-Fi, the recording volume was fine. On the Asus Xonar DX, I have to push the recording level all the way up, and it maxes out around -8dB. It is too quiet.

Yes, I can fix the low volume in software, but ideally I would prefer not to have to normalize the sound that far and would much rather record around -1 ~ -3 dB.

I have read similar stories about the Xonar DX, but no answers. Since the only variable is the sound card, it would seem that it is something in the Xonar DX. Any suggestions? Design flaw? Hidden switch somewhere in the configuration that I haven't found yet?

Failing a solution I am half considering moving to an Auzentech, but those are Creative X-Fi based so I don't really trust the drivers (unless Auzen writes their own drivers from scratch?). Anything else available with good audio quality using standard red-white plugs (sorry, not sure what they are called) line-in and not based on Creative X-Fi?

Any help appreciated.

Regards, Christine

Hmm...so essentially, the line-in volume is too low. I assume that the volume is already set to 100% within windows...

I've never used the line input; I've used the optical input before, and never had volume issues on my D2, but never the line input...

If your onboad has a line-input, you could always have that handle the input over the DX if it gives the higher volume you need. You should be able to have both sets of drivers installed without issue (I know I can at least...).

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!!!

First off, are you sure that the cable your hooking the rig and your music device upto are properly working?

I faced the exact similar issue while recording music. Like you, i used to record music from my hi-fi system and converted it into mp3 via line in on my Audigy 2ZS RCA line in connections. I tried using the line in at the rear as well. On one occasion the wires within my RCA/line in jack came loose, due to which i had to run the recording level to the max. On later sessions when I lost audio, an investigation revealed the culprit.

so check your connectors wiring...the software should be next to scrutinize and then the hardware. A small issue like this shouldn't cause you to buy another soundcard.

And on the event that you DO want to change cards. You can check this out and it's review. Just recommended it to another OP. You can't go wrong with this - unless your using Vista/win7. if your only on xp sp3, it'll be great.

JoeZ_

Reputable
May 11, 2014

an obvious solution would be to amp the recording source before the card input; this card having low sensitivity gain is actually a feature, because ideally, along with the quality of the A/D converters, mic input gain is the main element to getting a clean recording, and you wouldn't get a nice mic preamp on cards like this; preamp is pre-record amplification;