Sign in with
Your question

Do I need a Hardware Firewall?

Last response: in Networking
October 18, 2004 11:03:20 PM

I have a Buffalo Wbr-G54 router with my wife as the wireless client and me as the hardwired(host?). I have wep set up on the router and I'm using a software firewall (Sygate). What advantage would I reap if I had a hardware firewall set up on my lan? Can someone recommend a good model? It seems that many firewalls also act as a router so I'd like one that does not include a router(I realize the two functions are prolly similar though)? Also I am interested in setting up a dmz for files on the public end of my lan. Can someone link me to a guide so I can figure out how to configure it? Thanks, Dylan

Homer: Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman.

More about : hardware firewall

October 18, 2004 11:58:43 PM

Regarding the DMZ, actually I think I just need stateful packet inspection for the intended use I had in mind. I have some downloading / ftp going in and out of my system at a given time so I wanted to minimize any possible security risk (and because I'm paranoid). So I only need advice on a good hardware firewall.

Homer: Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman.
October 19, 2004 4:35:57 PM

Just about any home routers act as hardware firewalls, some do dmz. For any more security than that you have two options, spend a lot of money on a true firewall device (i.e. cisco pix ~$500+) or turn an old computer you have laying around into a linux router. If you want very good security with all the options (firewall, dmz, etc) at a decent price just get an old computer and put one of the free linux router distros on it like ipcop or clarkconnect.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
October 21, 2004 1:25:04 AM

Thanks, if I get one of the Linux distro's will that take place of the router or does it work with it? After reviewing the features of this router I find that the unit does support packet filtering as well as wep and wpa. Unfortunately the vendor has little information on their site about configuration so I'm kind of stuck. Can anyone point toward an end user resource so I can figure how to configure my router? I think this might be very interesting so I don't mind doing a lot of reading.

!