USB2 Flash Drive "cannot find the specified file"

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 4:16:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

If some one can help resolve this, I would be very appreciative:

My USB 2.0 Lexar flash drive works fine on my laptop's USB 1.1 ports. And
it works fine on my desktop's USB 2.0 ports. Both of these machines have
WinXP Pro SP2.

I've added USB 2.0 ports to my laptop with a PCMCIA card, and they clearly
work properly with my external DVD burner, and with my external hard drive.
However, when plugging the USB 2.0 flash drive into them, and trying to
transfer files to it, I get:

Cannot copy "filename": cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify correct path & file name.

--
Tom McCune
a b D Laptop

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

> If some one can help resolve this, I would be very appreciative:
>
> My USB 2.0 Lexar flash drive works fine on my laptop's USB 1.1 ports.
> And it works fine on my desktop's USB 2.0 ports. Both of these
> machines have WinXP Pro SP2.
>
> I've added USB 2.0 ports to my laptop with a PCMCIA card, and they
> clearly work properly with my external DVD burner, and with my
> external hard drive. However, when plugging the USB 2.0 flash drive
> into them, and trying to transfer files to it, I get:
>
> Cannot copy "filename": cannot find the specified file.
> Make sure you specify correct path & file name.

I found the resolution for this!

Apparently, the Lexar 1GB flash drive draws enough power that when attached
to the PCMCIA USB 2.0 adapter (which is drawing power from the laptop),
that the adapter has to have its optional power supply attached plugged in.
The external USB drive and external DVD burner have their own required
power supplies, so that is why the adapter optional power supply is not
necessary for them.

-Tom
April 3, 2010 4:01:01 AM

!