My laptop is constantly losing its internet signal

goog55

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Hello,
my laptop (toshiba) is constantly losing my internet signal. It's not my router because I have a dell too it doesn't happen. What can I do to fix this?

G

Presumably wireless. Could try updating the driver for the wireless adapter.

If the computers are in different rooms it could be the channel -- the frequencies the channels represent vary in quality depending on environment. The Toshiba may also be closer to a source of interference -- cordless phone base and video sensder are frequent culprits (move them away from router or computer). As are neighbouring wifi -- choose a channel 5 stops from strongest neighbour.

goog55

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Presumably wireless. Could try updating the driver for the wireless adapter.

If the computers are in different rooms it could be the channel -- the frequencies the channels represent vary in quality depending on environment. The Toshiba may also be closer to a source of interference -- cordless phone base and video sensder are frequent culprits (move them away from router or computer). As are neighbouring wifi -- choose a channel 5 stops from strongest neighbour.

That was my first thought but I haven't been able to find out where to download a driver from. Both laptops are in the same room, and wireless modem is upstairs.

Thanks for the tip! :)

G

see if you can identify which chipset the adpter uses --- see Device Manager. If Toshiba site unhelpful look for a generic driver for the chipset.

goog55

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
see if you can identify which chipset the adpter uses --- see Device Manager. If Toshiba site unhelpful look for a generic driver for the chipset.
I did download the driver, it still wasn't great but I wasn't losing it as it as much before. I moved the wireless router to another room, haven't had a problem since. So I am guess the line in the other room wasn't very good. I haven't had any problems now, and been few days. Thanks for your tip!

TRENDING THREADS