What are C:Windowsbelt.exe and service Shell Hardware Prot..

All I can find is that belt.exe it is "configuration settings."

I had to disable Shell Hardware Protection Service to stopped excessive slow
downs after installing SP2. What have I given up?

Karla

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:34:21 -0400, Karla Leavelle wrote:

> All I can find is that belt.exe it is "configuration settings."
>
> I had to disable Shell Hardware Protection Service to stopped excessive slow
> downs after installing SP2. What have I given up?
>
> Karla

A search on google brought up many links for belt.exe. Here is one of them:
http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.binet.html
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks. What about Shell Hardware Protection? What is it?

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:13:36 -0400, Bob Griendling wrote:

> Thanks. What about Shell Hardware Protection? What is it?

No idea. XP has a service called "shell hardware detection." Is that what
you meant? For that service to work, RPC must be available (not disabled).
If that is the service that you're referring to, you could try changing it
to manual. In many cases, systems run okay with this disabled however it
will kill "autoplay" for removable media.

To change startup status of a service use Computer Management> Services.
Then right click on a service to access its properties.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks. I meant "detection," not protection. Since I don't have computers
networked together, I wouldn't think I need RPC, but under the services tab
in msconfig, it says it's an essential service. I'll leave that alone,
unless you suggest otherwise. I changed the Shell Hardware Detection to
manual and see if that slows down the copmputer.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:32:46 -0400, Karla Leavelle wrote:

> Thanks. I meant "detection," not protection. Since I don't have computers
> networked together, I wouldn't think I need RPC, but under the services tab
> in msconfig, it says it's an essential service. I'll leave that alone,
> unless you suggest otherwise. I changed the Shell Hardware Detection to
> manual and see if that slows down the copmputer.
>
> Thanks again for your help.

RPC is needed for various functions and would leave that running too. Shell
Hardware Detection is the one that you can disable without losing too much
functionality. It is related to autoplay for removable media and that
little window that pops up asking what you want to do when a CD or memory
card is inserted. That window will not show up if Shell Hardware Detection
is disabled. I don't miss that prompt but some folks like having it around
so wanted you to be aware that's what would go missing.

Good luck with your changes. Hope they work well for you.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User