Defective CPU?

inforis

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I bought an AMD Phenom 9750, Stock about 9 Months ago along with a motherboard to replace my P4, After 6 Months, my system stopped working, i first noticed that there were unexpected reboots,
and bluescreens, then i couldn't install drivers without reboots, I thought it was my Motherboard so i replaced it with another one but it still wasn't working. by now, the system just does this reboot loop, It get's past the bios screen halfway through the windows logo screen then it reboots, over and over, Before i spend money on another cpu, I want to make sure it is the cpu that's defective, Can you guys help me determine wether it's the cpu or something else

inforis

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Actually, when i put in my new mobo, i had to take out a stick of ram and it wold boot up so think RAM is probably fine for now
My Cpu fan works just fine, everything works good so i don't think something's wrong with the PSU
and theres couple fans running in the pc case, gpu, cpu, system fan so air get's around, it's probably not a heating problem

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
did you try a fresh install of windows?

you say "My Cpu fan works just fine, everything works good so i don't think something's wrong with the PSU "

there is no way to tell if the power supply is putting out dirty power etc from the computer turning on. Did you even check the voltages in the bios?

you assume alot, my advise would be to follow the troubleshooting checklist on the forums its been posted about a thousand times.

inforis

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I tried my setup on windows xp, and windows 7, Windows xp was a fresh install.
I tested the same PSU(windows 7 system) with 2 different pc setups,
One on a P4 with another motherboard (Previous pc setup) and one with my Phenom.Both with my Videocard intact.
The previous setup works perfectly fine as i'm able to log in with no problems. Also, both setups use the same stick of RAM.My new setup however isn't able to get past the windows boot logo. And i have no idea how to run memtest. If i need to post more information, i'll do so