Stock cooling phemon x4 925 (gaming)

TTU03

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
A new build will be at my door step monday morning. My question is if the stock cooling for the phemon 2 x4 925 will be sufficent when gaming.

Build: x4 925, asus 79xtd evo mobo, 2gig ddr3 1600(still running 32 bit xp), amd 6870, 500 gig 7200 rpm hd, 750 5400 rpm hd(storage), creative pci sound card, crossair 550 psu, samsung dvd burner. This is going into my current antec 900 case: two front inbound fans, one side inbound fan, big boy outbound fan on top, one outbound fan in the back.

The room is ac controled but can get semi warm. This summer we hit a hot spell of 100-105 high humidity, the room hit 80 degrees. I will not be overclocking. Usually i would not worry about after market cooling but i do under stand that turning up games at high res now adays can really work the gpu/cpu(create heat). I woud much rather buy cod black ops then blow what little money i have felt on a cooler that is not needed.

Solution
The CPU will stay cool enough with stock cooling (even in a 80 degree room) but the noise of the fans may be bothersome. If the noise doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.
If you have no overclocking plans then you've no compelling reasons to get an aftermarket CPU cooler.. But at the same time, i don't comply with your theory of rather investing the same cash on purchasing a game or two.. An aftermarket CPU cooler, even if you are not gonna overclock, will offer few advantages over the stock solution like lower noise levels, lower temps for sure (in both idle and load conditions).. Moreover, if and when there arise a need to overclock, it'll be cooler which will give you more confidence compared to a game (which actually might cause you to overclock your CPU)..

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
The CPU will stay cool enough with stock cooling (even in a 80 degree room) but the noise of the fans may be bothersome. If the noise doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.

Solution