Can't select letter on old PC hard drive in new PC

xtre

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Hey, I have looked through 100's of Q&A's here and can't get this to work.

So, I have a working partially new HDD with a lot of my old stuff on from my old computer which is now dead. Now that I have a new computer again I want to put the previous HDD which I used for storage only to work in my new computer.

It shows up in the bios as a master and in Disk Management but with no drive letter. I can't change the letter either as it doesn't show up in the menu. I'm now lost and need some help on this please.

Thanks much.

avs262

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Does it show as 'offline' in Disk Management? If so, you'll need to bring it online first. From there you can assign a new letter.

xtre

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Right clicking on the right side just gives me "Help" and the left side gives me "Convert to Dynamic Disk..., Properties, Help"

coolvap

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Did you set the jumpers (that are present behind the hard disk near connection terminals) properly if you are using a hard disk with PATA interface? The hard disk that is used to boot up the operating system is normally the Primary. Other drive should be configured as slave. But that is dependent on whether you are using PATA interface.

xtre

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Ah, I will try this and get back to you.
My drive: Barracuda Internal 3.5" SATA Hard Drive - 1TB

xtre

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Ok, moved the hard Drive to the slave socket of the main os drive, nothing seemed to have changed though. Here is some computer specs:

64 bit
GA-990FXA-UD5 motherboard
Barracuda Internal 3.5" SATA Hard Drive - 1TB
700W PSU
AMD FX 8-Core

If anything else is needed just say. Also, thanks for the help so far.

xtre

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
I've got the letter to change and I'm able to access it now but, it's still showing up as the same in the image I linked in disk management. Don't know if that's a problem so I will leave it.

I downloaded a disk management program called "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" which allowed me to change the letter. It shows up different on the program, showing the size used etc.. weird.

Thanks for the help.