Video card with HDMI for video playback on HDTV

phymata

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions for a video card with HDMI for video playback on a HDTV. I'm going to be connecting my desktop to my TV with a 25-35 ft. HDMI cable. Essentially I'll be using it as a second monitor just for playing video. So my desktop will be doing double duty as the home PC and HTPC.

My Desktop
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Motherboard: ASUS P5B

My TV
Model: Sharp LC-32D62U 32"
Resolution: 1920 x 1080

No need for gaming and I'd prefer something that's relatively quiet. Maybe even without a fan if I can get away with it. My budget is $50-$150. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Solution
I would recommend the following if all you plan to do is watch movies on it. It's cheap, uses hardly any power, silent(no fan), nice features. However, if you plan to do any gaming whatsoever, for another $20 or so you could get something 5x as powerful, but it's up to you. I guess if you don't game there's no need.

Sapphire Radeon 5450 512mb - $35 after rebate
It comes with HDMI, DVI and VGA ports built in.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I would recommend the following if all you plan to do is watch movies on it. It's cheap, uses hardly any power, silent(no fan), nice features. However, if you plan to do any gaming whatsoever, for another $20 or so you could get something 5x as powerful, but it's up to you. I guess if you don't game there's no need.

Sapphire Radeon 5450 512mb - $35 after rebate
It comes with HDMI, DVI and VGA ports built in.

Solution
You can just get a DVI to HDMI dongle or if you prefere there's a cable as well. You don't need a video card with HDMI. There's no signal loss as the DVI video signal and HDMI video signal are the same.