Sign in with
Your question

HTPC BUILD HELP

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
August 21, 2010 8:40:01 PM

Hi All,
i'm interested in building a (H)ome (T)heatre PC for my living room, to do away with existing dvd player, video recorder, satalite reciever etc etc and have it all under one roof so to speak (HTPC). I would like to be able to record and watch in good quality HD, play bluray dvds, some gaming also when required (mainly COD's)

I am going to strip down my gaming pc and try to utilise some of the parts and obviously sell the parts not appropriate for funding for my new build as money is tight this time.

My PC at the moment consists of the following:

Case - Coolermaster HAF 932 (FOR SALE)
Mobo - ASUS P6T Deluxe
CPU - Core i7 920
GPU - 2 x HD4850's crossfire linked (FOR SALE???)
RAM - 3 x 1gb kingston DDR3 1333
Optical Drive - Pioneer Bluray Player
Zalman ZM-MFC2 Multi fan speed controller (FOR SALE)
HDD 1 - SATA2 Hitachi 320gb (containing Vista Home 64) (FOR SALE)
HDD 2 - SATA2 Hitachi 500gb (movies, music etc) (FOR SALE)

OK so here's what i intend to build :

Case - Zalman HD503
Mobo - ASUS P6T Deluxe
CPU - Core i7 920
GPU - 1 x HD4850 (or sell both cards in exchange for a good all round single card with a HDMI port at rear
Optical Drive - Pioneer Bluray Player
SSD - Intel X-25M 80gb SATA2, 2.5" (for Vista Home 64 OS)
HHD - SATA2 ............ 1TB (for movies, music storage)
RAM - 3 x 1gb kingston DDR3 1333
TV card - Must be able to record in HD and 2 channels at once

If i use the Intel SSD for my OS and my HDD for my movies, will this minimise the noise of hard drives spinning up as i watch and choose my movies???

Is the onboard sound quality of the Asus P6T mobo good enough to warrant not buying an additional sound card???

Any ideas of an appropriate quietly running PSU i could buy that is still powerful enough to run maybe a single HD4850?

Thank you in advance guys, i am very new to HTPC builds and TBH very green, so i need all the help and research that i can get.

More about : htpc build

August 22, 2010 9:31:51 AM

That i7 is srsly overkill for an HTPC, same with the mobo... but to answer your question...that on board sound card is good enough to handle what you need.(optical out) but your new video card that had HDMI out will also handle the sound. if all your doing is looking to save money on cheaper parts and discontinuing your desktop pc then go right ahead... I did the same thing with my desktop pc once I got a laptop.
August 22, 2010 11:08:26 AM

remember that htpc cases often have poor airflow when comparing them to gaming computers, and that your 4850's can get quite warm. getting the ssd will make your overall hdd noise lower and i fully support that move. if you sold both your 4850's and bought a 5770 (small upgrade but lower power consumption and a very cool running card) you should be fine. running an optical cable for your audio will be more than enough as far as sound quality goes.

for tv the tuner i bought the Hauppauge Wintv HVR 3300 HD PCIe tri-band card Analogue (PAL), Digital & Satellite for our HTPC and i'm very pleased with the quality of the picture.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 22, 2010 6:04:28 PM

midrigs said:
That i7 is srsly overkill for an HTPC, same with the mobo... but to answer your question...that on board sound card is good enough to handle what you need.(optical out) but your new video card that had HDMI out will also handle the sound. if all your doing is looking to save money on cheaper parts and discontinuing your desktop pc then go right ahead... I did the same thing with my desktop pc once I got a laptop.

You misunderstood me a little, i'm not looking to save money in buying cheaper or down sizing components, all i'm really after achieving is building a nice quiet HTPC which can handle my infrequent gaming needs using my present PC's components to fund the build and/or keep

I maybe agree on the fact that a core i7 920 could be over kill for a HTPC but as i have it already and i think it is an amazing cpu, it would be a shame to sell it for something lesser which i probably wouldn't be happy with, same goes for the motherboard. I guess if your gonna build one, build it GOOD!!

August 22, 2010 6:07:26 PM

Check Silent PC Review's recommended PSUs for ideas on what PSUs to look at.

What's the resolution of your TV? That's pretty important in order to determine what GPU would be best for your system (for gaming purposes).
Anonymous
August 22, 2010 6:16:51 PM

itouchedyou said:
remember that htpc cases often have poor airflow when comparing them to gaming computers, and that your 4850's can get quite warm. getting the ssd will make your overall hdd noise lower and i fully support that move. if you sold both your 4850's and bought a 5770 (small upgrade but lower power consumption and a very cool running card) you should be fine. running an optical cable for your audio will be more than enough as far as sound quality goes.

for tv the tuner i bought the Hauppauge Wintv HVR 3300 HD PCIe tri-band card Analogue (PAL), Digital & Satellite for our HTPC and i'm very pleased with the quality of the picture.

An excellent point well made, thank you, your right, my current HD4850 does run incredabley HOT also it doesn't have a HDMI port on the card, you have to use an annoying DVI - HDMI adapter plug which takes up room behind the computer so you cant slide it up tight against walls, i think it looks awkwark.

I will definiately look at a change of GPU, and a cool running one at that!! The HD5770 does fit the deal, HDMI port too :) 

Another question i have is about my storage HDD, i'm not from the US so unfortunately i can't take advantage of newegg......grrrrrrrrrr.....but i have been looking for a 1tb quiet running HDD that still performs well....any ideas????

Anonymous
August 22, 2010 6:21:38 PM

coldsleep said:
Check Silent PC Review's recommended PSUs for ideas on what PSUs to look at.

What's the resolution of your TV? That's pretty important in order to determine what GPU would be best for your system (for gaming purposes).

I have a 40" Samsung LED FULL 1080p flat screen on the wall, not sure of the res. i'll look it up
August 22, 2010 6:22:47 PM

If it's 1080p it's a 1920*1080 screen.
Anonymous
August 22, 2010 6:23:37 PM

sounds about right to me :0)
August 22, 2010 6:35:07 PM

A 5770 will be fine for movies, etc. but may be a little weak for new/modern games at 1920x1080 at high/ultra details. If you don't require max details, or you're playing older games, it should be fine.
Anonymous
August 22, 2010 6:40:19 PM

coldsleep said:
A 5770 will be fine for movies, etc. but may be a little weak for new/modern games at 1920x1080 at high/ultra details. If you don't require max details, or you're playing older games, it should be fine.

Do you think it will be an improvement on a HD4850???
August 23, 2010 4:44:47 AM

my old vapor-x 5770 handled COD:MW2 at full at 2048x1152 reso, and it overclocked quite well during times when i needed more performance. i had upgraded it from my 4850 and did notice a difference, plus the bonus of it running on less power and at lower temps. if you're really concerned about high frame rates, the 5850 is an excellent card and easily overclocks to ~stock 5870 performance.

as for your HDD needs, people seem to recommend the samsung spinpoint f3's. personally i never go anything other than WD and seagate, and the 7200.12 is supposed to be quite quiet
!