Your question
Closed

Thermal paste application

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Thermal Compound
Last response: in CPUs
November 8, 2010 8:23:24 AM

Alright guys I know there's been about 10,000 of these topics but each seem to recommend a different method!

I'm going with a 955 and a ASUS M4a88td-v EVO. With a Coolermaster H212 (Going from memory on the cooler so sorry if I got the name wrong). Planning to use arctic silver 5.

Now I've seen multiple ways of doing this and in the past I've just used the plastic spreader method when you put a little bit on the middle and then spread it out so it's fairly thin. I've read about people claiming the cross method is best and that this is best. What should I do?!

Also apply a larger amount to processor, or a little bit on the processor and a little on the heatsink?

More about : thermal paste application

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 8, 2010 8:27:16 AM

Do not apply too much. A rice grain sized drop would be enough. I used an old credit card to spread it over the CPU. You would see many sites recommending it that way.

For the paste, i say get the Tuniq TX3 or MX3.
November 8, 2010 8:44:05 AM

I was going to go with about a penny sized amount (bare in mind it'll be thin) and then spread with an old card. I just don't really want to mess this up as it's the first build without using the stock cooler - Good ol' stock coolers and the pre-applied stuff!

So less is more in the sense of this stuff then. Any ideas on the cross method being better or is it just personal preference?
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2010 8:56:17 AM

Well, the way you put it on depends on you. A cross or any other shape, that is up to you. But just make sure you have a think layer evenly distributed on the surface. That would be enough to do it. Putting in too much is not advised.
Score
November 8, 2010 9:03:18 AM

Alright thanks for the advice, probably going to go with the grain of rice method you mentioned. Is it worth putting any on the cooler or would just a thin layer on the processor be good enough?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2010 9:08:10 AM

When i installed my Thermalright cooler, the instructions did mention putting it on the cooler as well, so i remember putting on the paste on the cooler too.
Score
November 8, 2010 9:16:00 AM

Ah so for the cooler my guess is to go very thin to avoid having too much. It's last minute advice cause I'm putting this all together tonight after work. Making sure I don't *** it up seeing as this whole build is draining my bank account already! If you have any ideas btw would a 955/965 & GTX460 run ok on a 500w PSU or should I go 600 just to give myself a little headroom for OC'ing? I'm leaning towards 600 seeing as a full load on both the cpu and gpu will be pretty close to the maximum on the 500.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2010 9:19:19 AM

Depends on which 500W PSU it is, please mention the brand. Don't worry about the paste, you would do just fine.
Score
November 8, 2010 10:13:26 AM

I'm going for either a 500w or 600w OCZ modxstream pro, this is just cause it's a relatively cheap branded unit plus it'll keep me going for around 6 months until I get the cash together to go with a better brand. I'm currently using a 400w OCZ stealthxstream and it's caused me no problems so I decided to go for what I've had good experience with!
Score
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2010 10:17:07 AM

Better is you get the Seasonic 520W S12II PSU or the Corsair VX550W. OCZ is not the best brand of PSU around, you know!
Score
November 8, 2010 10:21:49 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
Better is you get the Seasonic 520W S12II PSU or the Corsair VX550W. OCZ is not the best brand of PSU around, you know!

As it's for a temporary solution and budget is a major issue I was planning to stick with them but I'm definitly considering the Corsair one. problem is would the load from a 460 and OC'd 955 go over the 550?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2010 10:24:48 AM

If you OC everything, still the power consumption of the total system would hardly touch 400W. Check out some GTX460 1GB OC review. I saw somewhere it only consumes 341 something watts. So you would be save with 500W.
Score
November 8, 2010 10:51:13 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
If you OC everything, still the power consumption of the total system would hardly touch 400W. Check out some GTX460 1GB OC review. I saw somewhere it only consumes 341 something watts. So you would be save with 500W.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate you giving me a hand with my last minute help requests!
Score
November 8, 2010 10:51:24 AM

Best answer selected by thehiddenpriest.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2010 10:55:35 AM

You're welcome! Thanks for the vote!
Score
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2010 11:28:39 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!