Will this work for Starcraft 2

boggz7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

I have a slim tower, and a normal sized card will stick out of the case. So I need a "low profile" card to fit into the case. The only way to actually make a normal card fit is for me to keep the cover off the side of the computer, but the computer won't actually work without the cover on it.

boggz7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Well at first I was looking for higher memory in the cards. I was looking through 1GB memory, but the one you showed was 512 MB. I always thought that the higher memory the better the card. I guess I still have much to learn.

This one also says 256- bit, should I look for cards that are higher in that, rather than memory?

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah there's a lot more to it then just vram. I usually search benchmarks to get an idea of performance. I know the 9800gt is good because a friend of mine used one for a while before he got his 5850. It's quite the little performer and should make most your games look pretty, including sc2.

The memory bus does help too, but it's just one of many factors like i said. Realworld benchmarks tell the tail best though :)

The only thing that might be a problem is power. I don't know what sort of power this version of the card needs, or what sort of Power Supply you have.

What card are you replacing?

boggz7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I also wanted to ask, is this something I can overclock to make it run better. I don't know much about overclocking, besides it will make it perform better, at the risk of over heating.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

boggz7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
From what I can see in the picture the bottom of the card that plugs into the mother board is exactly the same. There is a small port next to the PCI-E port, though. Besides that I do not have those wires in the pictures. Well it looks like there is somewhere I could plug the white part of one of the wires in. I checked again, and that is not the right thing. If I got one of those wires, where would I have to plug it into?

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Nope won't work, simply doesn't have the power, even if you had the connections. You'll need a GPU that doesn't require any extra power, or a new PSU.

This is about as good as your gonna get without having to buy new PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127481

I doesn't do half bad in benchies, but it seems to be about 30-50% slower then a 9800gt. I'd recon it'd manage SC2 at around highish settings depending on your resolution and sensitivity to lower frame rates.

boggz7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
About how much would a new PSU cost, and do you know if it's something that would be able to replace the one is have. Will my computer be able to use it. I've already ordered the card, and would much rather upgrade my PSU, than downgrade the graphics card.

boggz7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
That's what I was worried about. Seems like it all comes down to getting a new case, would make my life easier. But that also draws upon the problem of getting things to fit right into there, and be where it should be.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I'd recommend the Antec 300, best cheap case out there imo. As for everything fitting in the case, it should. I'd imagine it's just a mini/micro-atx board in there.

Although i've seen some non-standard mobos before. But they run a special btx or similar PSU. Since your current PSU is ATX, i'm running on the assumption that your Mobo is also some form of ATX and then would fit any ATX case.

That case also comes with 2 Big fans.

I hope i haven't gotten you into a bigger mess ><

boggz7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I might just have to deal with what I have. If I did get the new case, I would then have to find a person to take everything out of my current case, and put it into the new one. Doing something like that could also void my warranty.

Getting a new power supply, I would still need to find someone who could install it.

All of that would cost money I don't have.

Well thank you for all of your help, I very much appreciate it.