GTX 460 Upgrade question. (Power consumption)

nick3318

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Hey guys, the currect specs on my desktop are as follows:

Asus Maximus Formula
Intel QX9650 running at stock 3.0 ghz (more to follow on that...)
EVGA 8800 GTX 512
Also it might be important to note that I'm also running 4 300 gb Raptors in raid 0.

Now all of this is currently powered by a 550W corsair power supply. The quality of the PSU is great without a doubt, but im concerned that an upgrade might be a bit to much for the watts it provides. (Though I know little about power consumption, hence why I'm here).

Right now I'm looking at this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6488511&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Is the 550W still going to be enough for my system? I really don't want to have to upgrade the PSU right now.

Any other thoughts or concerns about the upgrade?

Also: The CPU was stupid expensive (2 and half years ago...) and I've never even bothered to overclock it. I'll probably bump it up to 3.2 or something easy yeah?. My air cooler keeps it running extremely cool so I'm not worried. Would an overclock hurt my power consumption by any significant amount as well?

Sorry for kind of shotgunning the topics here, but I hope you guys can help answer my questions. Once I built my PC I didn't really concern myself with learning to much more.

Thanks a ton guys!

nick3318

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I noticed there were a few version of that card on Tiger Direct. The one I linked is the most expensive but also has the highest shader and memory clock.

Would I save money and end up with the exact same experience if I just went with the lower priced cards and did the OC myself?

nick3318

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006