After Installing Ubuntu, no POST

DataSurfer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I have a Supermicro X8DAH+-F-O board. I was able to get it to POST with a raw hard disk. It took about 30s to 60s for the power LED to illuminate, and then another 30s or so for POST (beep and Supermicro logo). I hear this is typical.

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 server on the hard disk, and rebooted when asked. Now the system will not POST. One time, I got the power LED to come on, but no beep and no SM logo.

I turned it off on the back, back on, and then tried powering it up again. After 5 mins, no power LED, no POST, no beep, nothing. All of the fans kick on and they seem to consistently running (not revving up and down) but nothing else.

It seems unlikely that an OS install would kill a motherboard or power supply. What else could be going on?

DataSurfer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I reset the battery, booted once, Ubuntu found filesystem issues, fixed them, rebooted...

and now I am back in the same mess. Power LED sometimes, fans spin up, no POST, no beep, no boot.

zootnerper

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Sounds to me like a hardware problem. I don't know about your board and it's slow coming to life. A power LED that takes 30s to come on sounds ominous to me.

I would:

1. Check the power supply . Is it up to the job? Maybe it is dying. Can you switch for another one?

2. Re-seat all memory and cards you have plugged in (looks like the CPU is OK)

If the above change nothing I would unplug cards you don't need for it to boot, one at a time and each time see if you can boot.

You could also try booting from an Ubuntu live CD. And also the live CD will have a memory test on it you can run.

Sorry, could have replied yesterday, but didn't think this would be much help.

-- Zoot

DataSurfer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Thanks. Since this is a server board, I did not expect the power LED to come on immediately, but it is a bit strange. The power light on the MB itself comes on right away.

I've narrowed it down a bit: if I let the system sit for about an hour or two, I am able to boot. Once the system is booted, it works great. But, I cannot restart, and cannot shut down and then power on.

G

Having similar problem on a install of Ubuntu 11.04 on SuperWorkstation 5033C. It cannot mount the drive at install.

Help