Sign in with
Your question

My video card is skipping or something...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2010 1:32:49 AM

The best way i can explain it is though this picture i made:

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/3586/skipping.png

Basically any game from World of Warcraft to Bad Company 2 does the same thing... the games run smooth as butter but theres this hiccup like thing that happens at a constant 1-2 second interval. It's extremely annoying in FPS games as it looks like the screen skipped a frame or something whenever it "hiccups".

It has been doing this for awhile too... think my card is running hot or something? It never used to do this.

I tried upgrading the drivers yesterday but it didn't change anything.

My specs: (everything at stock speeds)

Radeon HD4850 512mb
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

More about : video card skipping

July 18, 2010 1:47:51 AM

I just checked the temperature with CCC and its at 76C when playing a game. The dial isn't even half way over on the temp gauge though... my room is pretty damn hot btw.

Is 76 such a high temp for this card that maybe thats whats causing the issue?

Just a random note: The card is only 1.5 years old
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
July 18, 2010 7:32:49 AM

What is your PSU? brand? model? wattage? amperage?

76'C is normal for HD4850.
Have you tried the latest driver?
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2010 4:43:51 PM

My PSU came with the case and its 500W

This is the case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Some of the reviewers said the PSU isn't that bad compared to other generic ones that come with cases.

Also this never used to be an issue... can the PSU just get crappy all of a sudden and stop giving out enough power?
m
l
July 18, 2010 6:36:23 PM

your psu should be enough, i run mine on a low quality cheap 500w my self and i find no problem at all, your problem might be that you have fps at some locations that goes above your monitors refresh rate, because it will look smooth but you will see the tearing then or what your like to call "hiccups" and skips a frame, the monitor simply can't keep up with the frame rate,

my advice is that you try turning on "V Sync" it should work, it will basically limit your fps by the refresh rate your monitor is running on.
m
l
July 18, 2010 8:24:55 PM

Actually the reason i use 60 is because i cant figure out how to change it to 75... could it be because i'm using an HDMI connection instead of VGA?

It looks like this monitor only supports 1080p at 60Hz and not 75Hz.
m
l
!