Computer restarting and crashing

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Ok, I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. Here are the specs for my computer.

Motherboard: Biostar TA790GX 128MB
CPU: AMD Phenom II 720 x3 black edition
RAM: Corsair Dominator 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz 2x2048
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 4850 IceQ4 1GB PCIe w/DL DVI
HDD: WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 32MB/SATA-3G
DVD Drive: Samsung 22X DVDRW SATA OEM
Power Supply: Apevia Warlock 750W Black Alum. PSU w/ Multi-LED

When I run Prime95, the monitor messes up the image and then the computer just restarts. I pretty much replaced everything but the powersupply. The motherboard was sent back in to have the mosfets replaced. The only thing I havn't replaced is the power supply. However, I ran a power supply tester and it reported everything was fine. The hardware monitor reports differently. My -12v=-8.26v -5v=-4.74v, etc...I am curious, can it be my power supply or maybe something else...I am just tired of sending parts back in and then finding out it isn't the prob. Any help will be appreciated. Will be here to learn something or answer any questions that may help get me an answer. Thanks.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
If your hardware monitor is reporting that kind of voltage then you need a new PSU. It only has to drop power for a nanosecond or so to the RAM and the PC will crash. Replace the PSU and see how the hardware monitor likes the new one.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Furthermore if you run Prime 95 and then the screen goes funny before it crashes then the PSU is feeding bad voltage to your graphics card. You are in severe danger of nuking your graphics card if you have not already done so. Do not run that PC again until you can determine if your PSU is bad. I suspect that it is. If you get a new PSU and it still runs badly then retest your graphics card. You may have already damaged it and or other components in your PC. Do not run the PC on that PSU!!!! The 12 v is what powers the graphics card from memory and running a graphics card under voltage kills it just as if you run it at to high a voltage.

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Thanks for the reply Wamphryi. I was thinking it was the psu. I already have a RMA ready for the psu and going to send it back Monday. Probably won't get it back til two weeks or so I am guessing, but I will let you know what the results are when I get it back. I HOPE I didn't fry any of my hardware such as my video card or worse motherboard or cpu. I guess we shall see. Like I said, thanks for replying and I will let you know the results.

TRENDING THREADS