Sign in with
Your question

Need some help with RAM and Motherboard.

Last response: in Memory
July 2, 2011 11:19:17 PM

Hey everyone. Heard good things about this place.

I am in dire need of some help here. Tried a bit of googling myself, but it was all a bunch of numbers and letters to me.
So I am hoping some of you guys, know alot more about this than me, and can help me here.

I need to know if my motherboard is compatible with some specific RAM blocks, and if not, then which RAM's I should go for.

My motherboard is a MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E). Pretty standard one, it came along with my HP Pavilion.

Here are the RAM I have been checking out:

Corsair XMS3 Vengeance DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 4x4GB (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9)
Sorry that I can not offer you a link. Checked around on Corsairs website, but I was not sure which one it was on there.

Im mostly using my computer for gaming. And I need to get it ready for Skyrim. So I will also get 2xATI Radeon 6950.
My CPU should be good for now I believe. Intel i5 750 @ 2,67GHz (not sure what the 750 is all about)
In case you need to know: Im running Windows 7 64bit.

Well to sum up my question: Is the RAM I have been looking at, combatible with my motherboard? If not, do you guys have some tips on, some good ones that does?

Thank you all in advance. I will await your replies.

More about : ram motherboard

a c 128 } Memory
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 2, 2011 11:29:28 PM

The corsair ram will work fine with 64 bit windows 7 and one good video card. Have you upgraded the power supply? If it's less than 400 watts, I recommend a corsair with 600-650 watts and a single 12v rail of 40 amps or more.
July 3, 2011 9:39:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. But are the RAMs compatible with the motherboard? My mate told me, it probably wasnt, but he did not know for sure.

So before I throw a bunch of money their way, I would like to know for sure.

And yeah, I could probably upgrade the powersupply. Right now I just have the standard 230V.
Related resources
a c 128 } Memory
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 3, 2011 10:21:10 AM

If you don't believe me, why don't you write your computer system manufacturer? I have similar corsair ram rated at 1.8 volts, and it even works fine at 1.6 on one of my boards. It's old ram, but still runs fine. If the corsair ram is rated at 1.5 or 1.65 volts, you should have no problems. CL9 is a common standard; this ram isn't any faster than other ddr3.
July 3, 2011 2:47:42 PM

Not trying to be an asshole here or anything. But writing HP would do nothing for me, I work at the same place as those guys, and... well, with inside knowledge, I dont wanna call them :p 

So I would rather just hear someone elses take on my question. Cause when I asked if my motherboard would be compatible with the RAM blocks I have been looking at. All you said was: "Windows 64bit will work with those RAM". And that was not my question. I am well aware that 64bit windows is needed for that amount of RAM. But my knowledge stops there, as I have no knowledge concerning motherboards.

Anyone who does?
a c 347 } Memory
a c 715 V Motherboard
July 3, 2011 3:12:35 PM

Most OEM MOBO won't 'run' 1600 MHz RAM and by that I mean they're stuck at 1333 MHz -> http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport...

Look in your BIOS an see if it has a setting for 'DRAM or Memory Frequency' and DDR3-1600 MHz and if it doesn't then don't get ANY 1600 MHz RAM. Most all 1600 MHz RAM has a JEDEC 1333 MHz coded 'SPD' but not all.

For OEM products I recommend Crucial -> http://www.crucial.com/ input your HP Model and use what comes up.
a c 128 } Memory
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 3, 2011 6:09:50 PM

Crucial is good ram, but I would go for the best value. 1600 ram will run fine at 1333 or even 1066 on some boards. Your original board will default to it's original setting, regardless of what brand or speed of ram you use. oem boards rarely have adjustments for speed. But if you get faster ram now, you can transfer it to another board which will run it at the faster speed later. So go for value; newegg had some 2x2gb of patriot 1600 ddr3 for only $18 after rebate and promo code last week. If the corsair is the best price you can get, then I still recommend it.
!