Changing cases question

maflynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
How many of you guys (or gals) have switched computer cases. The reason why I'm asking is while I have a fairly new Core i7-930 build in an antec 300 case. I'm seeing a little bit of a short coming, like access to the cpu back plate, or a removable pan to facilitate access to the rear of the mobo, and cable management.

I'm waiting for a cpu cooler replacement since the one I just installed is defective. That means I need to fully disassemble my computer yet again. I'd not have to do that if I had chose differently on my case. If I have to remove nearly all the components and various wires on the mobo, now, it would seem to be a good time to switch to a new case.

Am I crazy for thinking this, or should I suck it up and just remove the mobo and add the new cpu cooler when it comes.

thoughts/opinions/advice?

I'm asking this now because I stumbled on the Antect Dark Fleet DF-30 Which seems to have at the very least a cut out to access the cpu back plate area. Now at a 100 bucks it seems excessive just for that option, but other cases may offer better cable management, cooling, options etc.

If any advice is centered on replacing the case, any suggestions?

Petey1013

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
The 300 is a decent case, but it's a Budget case. There's a lot of good options at or around $100, and the DF-30 is NOT one of them. There's a couple Lancools, a couple CMs and some other options that would all have better cooling and cable management

maflynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I'm waiting for a Noctua NH-D14 to be delivered. Its a monster cooler and will "barely" fit the 300.

I'll start checking out some of the CM/Lancools that Petey1013 mentions.

maflynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

I was thinking the same thing myself. I don't have the tools to do that and if I'm going to spend $$ to achieve that result, why not get a case with it already.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

kaosnkorruption

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I picked up the Lancool PC-K62 recently I really likeit. It has a rather large cutout for backplate access. I've seen a number of cases where the cutout only exposes about half the backplate or so.

The PC-K62 is also completely toolless, literally. When I swapped components into the new case, I only need a screwdriver to pull stuff out of the old case.

The case has decent cable management, not exceptional though. The major beef I had was the space on the backside (behind the motherboard) to run cables was a bit tight (had a tough time getting the side panel back on), and my PSU isn't modular and there isn't anywhere to tuck the extra cables...but neatly bundling the cables with a ziptie resovled that for me (although the bundle is just sitting at the bottom of the case).

I would just go ahead and remove the motherboard and install the cooler. You will only need to do it once. After that, access via a backplate hole is not needed. The 300 is a very good case, and unless you have another reason to change, why bother? Spend your $100 on something more useful.

The opening on the motherboard tray has to be very large. Otherwise there might be a problem accessing cpu heatsink fasteners. Although cpu's are located in the same "general" area on a motherboard, they are not always in the same "exact" spot. I learned that by accident. I've had two motherboards and two cases where the openings did not quite match up to the cpu.

Unless you are a pc enthusiast constantly changing parts, just suck it up and pull the motherboard. It's probably not worth purchasing a new case for a one time swap.

In the event you decide to purchase a new pc case with a slide out motherboard tray, there may be yet another problem. When sliding out the motherboard tray, a tall cpu heatsink may not clear the rear of the case. Once again, it depends on the design of the case.

maflynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

You're right, it is needed only once, however because of issues with my cooler, this will be my third time :(

Anyways there are other factors that were driving my to re-consider a case, and one of them is cable management. After asking advice on cases in another thread I was provided with Corsair Obsidian 800D and I also stumbled upon the soon to be released Corsair 600T

The bottom line comes is it worth spending 150 - 250 on a new case (600t=150, 800d=250). I'm not sure. There are advantages/disadvantages to either decision.

I like my antec 300 but there are things that could be different, many of those issues are resolved in the 800d.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. its always good to get many folks ideas and input.

Edit:
Coming from a Macintosh, I'm wicked anal about getting the look and feel of the computer down as well. While I like how the 300 looks and performs with its cooling, no matter how hard I try the cables are a mess in the computer. On a MacPro you see no cables and the drives snap out. The 800D (and it looks like the 600t) have the same hotswappable drives. Just slide those babies and and you're off :)
Mike

drexeus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
I agree with kaosnkorruption, the Dragonlord PC-K62 is quite something. The case came with, for a lack of a better word, cable holder thingys that snap on the bottom for you to route your cables. But as already stated, if you have a non-modular psu you will have to do a bit of magic with the bundles. The 690II is also a seemingly good case. Lots of options with cooling on that case. At the end of the day, its what you perceive the case to be and how functionality and aesthetics play in to the equation.