AMD to launch next gen of dx 11 later this year

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Wish my card would stay longer from the last series. Anyway ati is one or 2 generations behind nvidia anyway. If they will release them cards more often and with greater and greater performance they actually could reach nvidia and compete from the same lvl. Also trying to fix their driver optimization because nvidia got their drivers soo right this time, especially in sli.

What are you talking about? saying "ati is one or 2 generations behind nvidia" is laughable. ATI was stomping Nvidia until they finally managed to release Fermi. Considering their relative release dates the Fermi cards should be half a gen ahead of the HD5000 cards and if anything they are rather lackluster in that light in terms of performance and especially when power/heat is taken into account. The GTX 460 came out last week and is the first convincing all around(price/performance/power) victory Nvidia has over ATI this gen.

Pretty much, what jyjjy said. I tried installing ForceWare 197.45 on my old GeForce 6800, and it messed up. nVidia's also had overheating problems with their drivers. nVidia is behind right now, although definitely back on track and much closer to AMD with GF104 - please provide examples backing up your statement.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Well it is. One of them was when the 200 series came out. Nvidia had the 9000 series competing with 4000 series from ati and after that they launched the 200 series witch competed with the 4000 series from ati as well. That's one.

:pfff:

How is ATi behind then, if the GeForce 9000 series was competing with the HD 4000 series, and so was the GeForce 200? Doesn't that actually mean that nVidia is behind, having to develop a new series to compete with one that also competed with its last generation products?

The 9800 GTX+, essentially a twice-overclocked with stepping revisions 8800 GTS, competed with the midrange HD 4850, while the HD 4870 competed with the GTX 260. So how is ATi behind? Might I also say that nVidia brought down the price of the GTX 260 from $399 to $299 to match the HD 4870... If ATi was so far behind, then why would nVidia do something like that?

Just wondering... how many nVidia cards do you own, and ATi cards do you own?

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
@welshmousepk Did i say something wrong or..?

I owned cards from nvidia and ati. I did not say that ati is far behind in performance, it is behind in series because nvidia had to launch more series to compete. ..well actually i did in a way because the cards that have been launched by ati and nvidia with dx11, nvidia is the leader at single chip cards.
If nvidia would not have released their 200 series then and would have now, even with dx11, ati would be far ahead with raw gaming power.

PS: i ain't a fan of eider of them, just a consumer:).

That's my opinion anyway.

Yes you said something wrong, you said that ATi was two generations behind nVidia, it's just that ATi isn't behind nVidia, they're about equal now, and for six months prior to the release of GF100 based cards, nVidia did not have many cards to compete with the HD 5000, price-wise and efficiency-wise. I'm just going to stop posting about this matter - just understand ATi and nVidia are on the same level now (ATi is slightly better, however the tables might turn once the full powered GF104 cards are available).

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

actually, the 4870 wiped the floor with the original gtx260. i believe the 192sp gtx260 holds the record for the fastest depreciating card in the history of gpus.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

Thank you :) .