pcsuperhero

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Hey everyone!

I have the following setup:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 8 GB Corsair Dominator-GT <------ I am planning to upgrade to 16GB next week
SSD (boot drive and few apps): Samsung 830 Series 128GB SATA III
SSD (for games): Corsair Force 3 60GB SATA III
HDD (for everything else): Western Digital 1 TB
GPU: GeForce GTX 670

What would be the best way to allocate my virtual memory? Is paging file size the same thing as virtual memory?

According to my control panel, it says that the paging file size is automatically managed. Currently, only my boot SSD is used for paging. The minimum allowed is set to 16MB, recommended to 12214MB, and currently allocated to 8143MB.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, the paging file is your virtual memory.

Unless you run something like VMWare it is unlikely that your paging file is used except on rare occasion.

I would move it to either your backup SSD, or the HDD. Give it the same min and max values so that it is static -- as a rule of thumb I just use the same as the amount of ram installed.

Opinions vary on this, but most guides agree that with 8 or more Gb or ram you will rarely use the paging file and the only reason to even put it on the HDD is to prevent a crash on the very rare occasion that it is accessed.

G

^+1
though i let windows manage mine, it seems when i define it, my boot up was much longer. however having an SSD may not affect your performance while booting.

pcsuperhero

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Thank you Realbeast for your response.

By saying "Give it the same min and max values so that it is static ", what numerical values do you you mean?

RealBeast

Titan
Right, so if you have 8Gb of ram (8 x 1024) use 8192 - 8192, or 16Gb use 16384 - 16384, and so on, for the paging file. You really don't need it to dynamically size. And if you have over 8Gb of ram and don't run VMs or programs with large memory usage then you probably don't even need a paging file, but I usually stick one on a HDD to prevent that rare BSOD if somehow I need more than my physical ram.