Kodak 7590, 7440 or Canon a95

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 30, 2004 12:14:52 PM

Hi:

I have been saving a few bucks to originally buy the Kodak 7590 but it
is taking too long and started to look at other cameras. I have a Kodak
DX3600 which I love and it takes great pictures, but I wanted something
with more manual controls and perhaps low light settings.

I mostly take pictures of "things" like rocks, water, trees, stuff like
that. I don't really take pictures of people.

I went to the website www.imaging-resource and read reviews and compared
pictures hoping someone would say - this is the best camera you could
buy. I have enough money saved now to buy the Kodak 7440 or the Canon
A95 but I am not sure which I want - any ideas. I do like the fact that
the Canon will take AA batteries because I can buy those in bulk and be
fine, but I really like the quality of Kodak.

Thanks for adding your 2 cents.

Carol
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 8:45:00 PM

Carol Elder wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have been saving a few bucks to originally buy the Kodak 7590 but it
> is taking too long and started to look at other cameras. I have a Kodak
> DX3600 which I love and it takes great pictures, but I wanted something
> with more manual controls and perhaps low light settings.
>
> I mostly take pictures of "things" like rocks, water, trees, stuff like
> that. I don't really take pictures of people.
>
> I went to the website www.imaging-resource and read reviews and compared
> pictures hoping someone would say - this is the best camera you could
> buy. I have enough money saved now to buy the Kodak 7440 or the Canon
> A95 but I am not sure which I want - any ideas. I do like the fact that
> the Canon will take AA batteries because I can buy those in bulk and be
> fine, but I really like the quality of Kodak.
>
> Thanks for adding your 2 cents.
>
> Carol

You might also consider the older DX6440 if you can find it. It is
likely to be cheaper and has most of the features of the DX7440, and
uses AA batteries. I made the switch from the DX3600 to the DX6440 and
it has performed very well. I am still learning what all the scene
modes do. One thing is certain, using the night mode REQUIRES a tripod,
or nice solid rock.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
December 31, 2004 5:24:59 AM

The DX6440 uses AA batteries, and takes awesome pictures. The DX7630 is
incredible for the type of pictures you like to take. Those are my favorite
subjects, also.

"Carol Elder" <elder@mit.edu> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I have been saving a few bucks to originally buy the Kodak 7590 but it
> is taking too long and started to look at other cameras. I have a Kodak
> DX3600 which I love and it takes great pictures, but I wanted something
> with more manual controls and perhaps low light settings.
>
> I mostly take pictures of "things" like rocks, water, trees, stuff like
> that. I don't really take pictures of people.
>
> I went to the website www.imaging-resource and read reviews and compared
> pictures hoping someone would say - this is the best camera you could
> buy. I have enough money saved now to buy the Kodak 7440 or the Canon
> A95 but I am not sure which I want - any ideas. I do like the fact that
> the Canon will take AA batteries because I can buy those in bulk and be
> fine, but I really like the quality of Kodak.
>
> Thanks for adding your 2 cents.
>
> Carol

December 31, 2004 6:36:45 AM

Its funny, I thought I was the only person who had this delimma. I too have
a DX3600 which for me was fine until I wanted to crop a few pics and still
print a very good 8x10. Now I realized I needed an upgrade, yet still didnt
want a degree in engineering to operate the damn thing. I also suffered
from information overload --Consumer Reports, Steves Digicams, Imaging
Resource, etc.
I originally bought a Fuji E550, but wound up returning it because I still
like to look through a viewfinder like a film camera, and this one was
useless. I also nixed the camera because of its expensive memory card.
What I decided to do was not pay a penny more than the old DX3600 and see
what I came up with. Here it is- A CX7530. Fully automatic 5 megapixel,
with a few different scene modes, a 512mb card and a tripod, and still paid
a few bucks less than my old (3 yrs) Kodak.
"Carol Elder" <elder@mit.edu> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I have been saving a few bucks to originally buy the Kodak 7590 but it
> is taking too long and started to look at other cameras. I have a Kodak
> DX3600 which I love and it takes great pictures, but I wanted something
> with more manual controls and perhaps low light settings.
>
> I mostly take pictures of "things" like rocks, water, trees, stuff like
> that. I don't really take pictures of people.
>
> I went to the website www.imaging-resource and read reviews and compared
> pictures hoping someone would say - this is the best camera you could
> buy. I have enough money saved now to buy the Kodak 7440 or the Canon
> A95 but I am not sure which I want - any ideas. I do like the fact that
> the Canon will take AA batteries because I can buy those in bulk and be
> fine, but I really like the quality of Kodak.
>
> Thanks for adding your 2 cents.
>
> Carol

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:01:59 PM

Greetings Carol,

I would wait a bit longer and get the DX7590. It has more of the features
that I am going to guess that you would enjoy and use in the future. The
camera has nice features and a great optical zoom (10X) as well as enhanced
digital to 30x. Since you note nature scenes, I believe you would enjoy it
greatly. Plus, this model has the option of external flash, that would
greatly enhance your nature shots, i.e. rocks, trees, etc. You can easily
switch between screen and EVF as well (EVF = Electronic Viewfinder). I
suggest a full review of the camera and features. If the flash and optical
zoom is not important to you, then you may enjoy the DX7440 as well, also an
excellent choice.

If you have any particular questions regarding either of these, Carol, let
me know, I am here for you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

!