SSD for Cache of SSD for OS

burky2100

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Hello,

I have an i7 system on an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MoBo with a WD 1 TB HDD. I was thinking of getting an SSD drive and wanted some opinions on which way I should go. Should I get a 128 GB SSD and allocate 20 GB for cache and the rest for the OS, or should I get a 60 GB SSD and use it as cache only? I am rather confused on all of this. I am assuming that the 128 GB split into a 20 GB partition for cache and 108 GB partition for the OS and using my HDD for storage would make the most out of my system but I am unsure if my MoBo will allow this or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RealBeast

Titan
Opinions vary, but with a 128Gb drive install the OS, programs and most used games and forget about the cache nonsense, it will be nothing but trouble. Buy your SSD on sale, as there are many good deals now and then optimize it using a good guide like this one: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

The P6T is an X58 motherboard, so native caching isn't an option. You need something along the lines of a Corsair Accelerator that includes the caching software.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Accelerator-controller-Asynchronous-CSSD-C45GB/dp/B007HBLFT0

Caching a SSD with another or same SSD does not work :)

All the caching does is take the most used 60gigabyte(more or less depending on software) set of DATA of the hard drive and place it on the SSD.

This has the advantage of accelerating often done tasks(booting and common programs), but as soon as that 60gigabytes gets used, older stuff gets ejected from the cache and will just run at hard drive speeds. Normally that means you have not used that program in a while any way.

All in all the idea works very well, but if you can get a SSD for your OS + common programs, you are going to ALWAYS get SSD speeds.

SSD caching is for people who want as much space as they can get with better then hard drive alone performance.

I actually used it for a while and had no problems with it at all. It did improve performance to a noticeable degree. I later swapped to SSDs for windows and games and a hard drive for all my files(Works great).

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, I am saying do not partition your SSD -- use it for your OS, programs, key games, and key documents. That is plenty of space for all of that and you do not need to mess with a cache for your HDD; waste of time and more problems than you want.