Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Making a computer build

Tags:
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2010 3:21:05 AM

I just needed to know if these parts will go together? This would be my first system I am building (I'm only 13)

Cooler Master Haf x gaming case
Intel core I7 processor 930
ati 5870 ( need to know if I should get the xfx or diamond, so far the diamond is more expensive) Xfx http://www.frys.com/product/6180229?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN... Diamond http://www.frys.com/product/6229220?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

6gb ddr3 1600mhz tri crossair

msi x58 pro e Intel I7 x58 motherboard http://www.frys.com/product/6012458?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

corssair h50 liquid cooling

corsair 850w power supply

harddrive and cdrom from old computer shouldnt have a problem fitting it in my new computer.

More about : making computer build

August 22, 2010 8:41:44 AM

how is the xfx way better? Why is it cheaper than diamond if its better? Oh yeah and I need the 850, Im planning on getting another 5870 in the future for crossfire
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2010 8:51:52 AM

dont get the h50 its rubbish, rather get a high end air cooler they are better, like the noctua NH-d14 or the thermalright silver arrow and so on
m
l
August 22, 2010 9:20:36 AM

850 is still more than enough for 5870's in xfire, a 750W is enough even at 100% system load. can i ask why you're going for an i7? i doubt anything a 13 year old does needs that much cpu power. you could shave off a hell of a lot of money going with an i5 and perhaps use that money instead to get yourself an ssd boot drive. you will see a much bigger difference in getting and ssd + i5 than just an i7 with your regular hard drive.

the h50 isn't a bad cooler, just a bit expensive. i wouldnt tell you not to get it
m
l
August 22, 2010 9:28:07 AM

no the h50 is rubbish trust me go for a higher end air cooler, also the problem is that lga 1156 is dead and if you want a bit of an upgrade path lga 1366 is better as you can still upgrade to an i7 980x or something like that in the future when the cost goes down, if the cost goes down much as the core 2 extremes are still very pricy, so it depends
m
l
August 22, 2010 12:15:05 PM

XFX is an overall much more reliable brand, and most of their products come with lifetime warranties.

a good 750 watt PSU would be this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

corsair 750 watt 8 plus gold

any good 750 watt PSU will be able to handle two 5870 in Xfire, if you go generic then you will need a higher wattage because those PSUs can't delegate power as efficiently as brands like corsair, silverstone, seasonic, OCZ, Antec and a few others

and like the others who posted here, why do you need an i7?
m
l
August 22, 2010 12:33:01 PM

gordon_81 said:
no the h50 is rubbish trust me go for a higher end air cooler, also the problem is that lga 1156 is dead and if you want a bit of an upgrade path lga 1366 is better as you can still upgrade to an i7 980x or something like that in the future when the cost goes down, if the cost goes down much as the core 2 extremes are still very pricy, so it depends

The H50 is everything but rubbish:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1025/6/

It performs on par with the high end air coolers, also is a space saver in cases and is quite quiet. I own one and with an overclocked i7 860 @ 4.01 with HT on, never get above 70C at full load. I would suggest it if anything.

I also believe an i5 is a great idea for a 13 year old. I does just as well if not better in gaming and will save you tons of money. And believe me if you're a pc enthusiast already you'll probably be upgrading every 1-2 years (because you're bored with your build or want the new tech) so the 1156 socket is far from a bad idea. Just my .02

m
l
August 22, 2010 1:10:36 PM

yep, the 1156 is a fine socket, i cant believe anyone would say it's dead when its currently intel's cash cow? the i5 is what's destroying amd right now since its similarly priced to the 955 and 965, has better boards that support sli AND xfire and the option to get a i7 8xx
m
l
August 22, 2010 2:29:27 PM

milbrandt1 said:
The H50 is everything but rubbish:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1025/6/

It performs on par with the high end air coolers, also is a space saver in cases and is quite quiet. I own one and with an overclocked i7 860 @ 4.01 with HT on, never get above 70C at full load. I would suggest it if anything.

I also believe an i5 is a great idea for a 13 year old. I does just as well if not better in gaming and will save you tons of money. And believe me if you're a pc enthusiast already you'll probably be upgrading every 1-2 years (because you're bored with your build or want the new tech) so the 1156 socket is far from a bad idea. Just my .02

lol then my other pc must have a defective h50 because that thing dissapointed me, i built a pc before for a friend with the same components i just got a different cooler (thermalright venomous x rt) and that cpu runs around 5 degrees celsius cooler than my pc with the h50 and we have the exact same components, the funny thing is that some people say the h50 is rubbish and is a waste of money and shouldnt be considered a watercooler and some people say its good
m
l
August 22, 2010 2:36:34 PM

itouchedyou said:
yep, the 1156 is a fine socket, i cant believe anyone would say it's dead when its currently intel's cash cow? the i5 is what's destroying amd right now since its similarly priced to the 955 and 965, has better boards that support sli AND xfire and the option to get a i7 8xx

and when i said its dead i meant that intel are not making anymore cpus for that socket and that it does not have a very good upgrade path, it depends on the thread starter, if he plans to have his pc for a long period of time say 5-6 years then he should go for socket 1366 because then he still has chance to upgrade to a hexacore cpu, but if he is planning on getting a new pc in the next 4 years then go for the i5 so it depends, i have nothing against the i5, i own 1 myself
m
l
August 22, 2010 2:37:46 PM

gordon_81 said:
lol then my other pc must have a defective h50 because that thing dissapointed me, i built a pc before for a friend with the same components i just got a different cooler (thermalright venomous x rt) and that cpu runs around 5 degrees celsius cooler, the funny thing is that some people say the h50 is rubbish and is a waste of money and shouldnt be considered a watercooler and some people say its good

Yeah mine works great, definitely no where near as good as a custom loop though. It gets incredibly mixed reviews, but from my experience, it's worth the money i spent. Also the H50 is known to have higher idle temps than most air coolers, that probably discourages some people.
m
l
August 22, 2010 2:39:18 PM

gordon_81 said:
and when i said its dead i meant that intel are not making anymore cpus for that socket and that it does not have a very good upgrade path, it depends on the thread starter, if he plans to have his pc for a long period of time say 5-6 years then he should go for socket 1366 because then he still has chance to upgrade to a hexacore cpu, but if he is planning on getting a new pc in the next 4 years then go for the i5 so it depends, i have nothing against the i5, i own 1 myself

Agree
m
l
August 22, 2010 7:47:51 PM

Can someone answer my question on will all the parts go together? I'm afraid, because I tried replacing a power supply before and it didnt have the correct cables.
m
l
August 22, 2010 7:48:22 PM

Ohh yeah and I dont want to get a i5 proccessor because I dont want to upgrade it again in the future.
m
l
August 22, 2010 8:56:57 PM

Yes they will work, but you might want to purchase a new hdd, that is if its a old 5200rpm, no sense getting an i7 with the old hdd. Good luck with the build
m
l
August 22, 2010 9:03:32 PM

milbrandt1 said:
Yes they will work, but you might want to purchase a new hdd, that is if its a old 5200rpm, no sense getting an i7 with the old hdd. Good luck with the build

Sorry but what is a solid state drive?? the difference between that and a regular hdd
m
l
August 22, 2010 9:15:11 PM

so you want an i7 for.......?

what do you do with your computer
m
l
August 22, 2010 9:19:34 PM

Upendra09 said:
so you want an i7 for.......?

what do you do with your computer

Good question but if hes got his heart set, lets help him :??: 
m
l
August 22, 2010 9:21:49 PM

for gaming mostly
m
l
August 22, 2010 9:26:27 PM

Please buy and i5, save money, and get better gaming performance. Maybe even buy an i5 and a GTX 480 if you want to spend the money.
m
l
August 22, 2010 11:01:24 PM

whats the difference between the i5 and i7
m
l
August 22, 2010 11:07:32 PM

chubiboi said:
whats the difference between the i5 and i7

Hyper threading. Which you will not make use of. And I reckon you don't even know what that is if you don't know what a SSD is. If you are just going to be gaming. You don't even need intel. Go with an AMD Phenom II X4 or Athlon II X4
m
l
August 22, 2010 11:11:20 PM

I dont like amd cpus, And will my motherboard support a i5 cpu?
m
l
August 22, 2010 11:12:53 PM

nvm my motherboard probably wont
m
l
August 23, 2010 12:46:30 AM

alextheawesome said:
Hyper threading. Which you will not make use of. And I reckon you don't even know what that is if you don't know what a SSD is. If you are just going to be gaming. You don't even need intel. Go with an AMD Phenom II X4 or Athlon II X4

Some new i5s have HT, but he's very right, unless you have something against AMD, they can give you exactly what your looking for in gaming performance at a fraction of the cost (even i5 build).

But if you're dead set on intel go for the i5-750, absolute beast of a cpu.

And no the motherboard you stated in your original post will not work with an i5 or any AMD cpu.
m
l
August 23, 2010 12:58:06 AM

chubiboi said:
I dont like amd cpus, And will my motherboard support a i5 cpu?

what is wrong with AMD? they will save your money instead of paying a name price for intel

so i guess you also buy a vaio over an HP, toshiba or ASUS laptop?

or do you just want the i7 for bragging rights?
m
l
August 23, 2010 1:02:58 AM

Upendra09 said:
what is wrong with AMD? they will save your money instead of paying a name price for intel

so i guess you also buy a vaio over an HP, toshiba or ASUS laptop?

or do you just want the i7 for bragging rights?

Somebody is getting flustered.

Just playing, I understand :D 
m
l
August 23, 2010 1:07:20 AM

milbrandt1 said:
Some new i5s have HT, but he's very right, unless you have something against AMD, they can give you exactly what your looking for in gaming performance at a fraction of the cost (even i5 build).

But if you're dead set on intel go for the i5-750, absolute beast of a cpu.

And no the motherboard you stated in your original post will not work with an i5 or any AMD cpu.

The i5's that have HT are the Dual Core variants which are out of the question.
m
l
August 23, 2010 1:11:16 AM

alextheawesome said:
The i5's that have HT are the Dual Core variants which are out of the question.

Why do you say that? He was just asking about the 650 and 661, which are both dual cores with HT. He must have some interest in them.
m
l
August 23, 2010 1:13:02 AM

milbrandt1 said:
Why do you say that? He was just asking about the 650 and 661, which are both dual cores with HT. He must have some interest in them.

Yes. But they're dual cores.
m
l
August 23, 2010 1:20:21 AM

alextheawesome said:
Yes. But they're dual cores.

That doesn't make any sense, but alright :??: 

OP, go for an x4 AMD or i5.
m
l
August 23, 2010 1:56:40 AM

470 for 270$? Sounds like much better price/performance to me.

Dual cores have no place in any modern build intended for gaming.
m
l
August 23, 2010 4:38:36 AM

dont get the dual core i5's ever. if you're getting an i5 its out of the 750 or 760, they have no difference once you overclock them anyway, much like the 965 and 955 phenom.

if you're just gaming there is actually no point in getting intel for the sake of it. the phenom x4s perform just as well, whilst being cheaper themselves and having cheaper motherboards with the same features. the money you save can be better spent investing in an ssd and better graphics.

the i7 is way overkill for what you want to achieve and you're blindly spending money for no reason. unless bragging rights are that important for you (i dont judge if they are, just saying that this would be THE ONLY reason why you should buy an i7 for your needs) go with an AMD 955 Black Edition. 99.9% will overclock to 4.0GHz easily, even on a peice of turd motherboard. in gaming these will perform just as well as an i5 whilst being cheaper.
m
l
August 24, 2010 12:04:06 AM

^+1
m
l