Automate Raw to DNG Conversion

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 30, 2004 9:21:22 AM

I just purchased a new camera that shoots in raw format. I would like
to convert the raw images to adobe's DNG format. I have downloaded the
tool which is pretty easy to use, but I was wondering if there was
anyway to automate it in batch. For instance, I would like to be able
to type at a command line

DNG_Convert directory_1 directory_2

This would convert the whole of directory 1 and place the files into
directory 2. Is there any way to do something like this?

Or is there some file that my preferences are stored in, that I could
modify the file and then run the program from batch?
December 30, 2004 6:48:18 PM

rkennel@veng.com wrote:
> I just purchased a new camera that shoots in raw format. I would like
> to convert the raw images to adobe's DNG format. I have downloaded the
> tool which is pretty easy to use, but I was wondering if there was
> anyway to automate it in batch. For instance, I would like to be able
> to type at a command line
>
> DNG_Convert directory_1 directory_2
>
> This would convert the whole of directory 1 and place the files into
> directory 2. Is there any way to do something like this?
>
> Or is there some file that my preferences are stored in, that I could
> modify the file and then run the program from batch?

What tool are you talking about? The "Adobe DNG Converter" that I
downloaded does everything in batch. It works on a whole folder and puts
it into the folder that you select. What more batching do you want?

Clyde
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 7:06:22 PM

On 30 Dec 2004 06:21:22 -0800, rkennel@veng.com wrote:

> I just purchased a new camera that shoots in raw format. I would like
> to convert the raw images to adobe's DNG format. I have downloaded the
> tool which is pretty easy to use, but I was wondering if there was
> anyway to automate it in batch. For instance, I would like to be able
> to type at a command line
>
> DNG_Convert directory_1 directory_2
>
> This would convert the whole of directory 1 and place the files into
> directory 2. Is there any way to do something like this?
>
> Or is there some file that my preferences are stored in, that I could
> modify the file and then run the program from batch?

No, this has been asked (and answered authoritatively) in the Adobe DNG
forum. If you pass it a directory name on the command line it will populate
the source directory but there's no way to do anything more other than
interactively.

--
John Bean

The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass (Martin
Mull)
Related resources
December 31, 2004 6:24:28 PM

John Bean wrote:
> On 30 Dec 2004 06:21:22 -0800, rkennel@veng.com wrote:
>

>>I just purchased a new camera that shoots in raw format. I would like
>>to convert the raw images to adobe's DNG format. I have downloaded the
>>tool which is pretty easy to use, but I was wondering if there was
>>anyway to automate it in batch. For instance, I would like to be able
>>to type at a command line
>>
>>DNG_Convert directory_1 directory_2
>>
>>This would convert the whole of directory 1 and place the files into
>>directory 2. Is there any way to do something like this?
>>
>>Or is there some file that my preferences are stored in, that I could
>>modify the file and then run the program from batch?
>

> No, this has been asked (and answered authoritatively) in the Adobe DNG
> forum. If you pass it a directory name on the command line it will populate
> the source directory but there's no way to do anything more other than
> interactively.

If it was answered authoritatively in the Adobe DNG forum, why are you
asking us?

I'm sorry, it never occurred to me that I needed to script a batch tool.
Doing a batch of files all in one folder works very well interactively
for me. I get a whole bunch done at once. At the most I've done 2 or 3
folders at a time. Scripting it would only save me a few seconds. So, why?

If you have dozens of folders that you need to do, write a script to put
them all in one folder, then convert, then move them all back. I would
think that script would take much longer to develop than to just run the
program.

It sounds like you are looking for a solution without a problem.

Clyde
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 5:19:39 PM

In message <6rVAd.257477$5K2.102990@attbi_s03>,
Clyde <lughclyde@attbi.comedy> wrote:

>What tool are you talking about? The "Adobe DNG Converter" that I
>downloaded does everything in batch. It works on a whole folder and puts
>it into the folder that you select. What more batching do you want?

It has to be operated in the GUI, though. It is very limited in the way
you can use it, and it is dumb enough to keep making duplicates of
everything that has already been converted. If you run it multiple
times on a directory with only one raw file in it, it will snowball, as
it doubles the number of files with every pass; 1 -> 2 -> 4 -> 8 -> 16.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 5:30:53 PM

In message <b1cdt09615fvrqkh93iheoo1v4g7kespeq@4ax.com>,
JPS@no.komm wrote:

>In message <6rVAd.257477$5K2.102990@attbi_s03>,
>Clyde <lughclyde@attbi.comedy> wrote:
>
>>What tool are you talking about? The "Adobe DNG Converter" that I
>>downloaded does everything in batch. It works on a whole folder and puts
>>it into the folder that you select. What more batching do you want?
>
>It has to be operated in the GUI, though. It is very limited in the way
>you can use it, and it is dumb enough to keep making duplicates of
>everything that has already been converted.

.... and conversions of previous conversions, as well.

!