Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Deleting Windows from Hdd

Last response: in Storage
November 25, 2012 3:08:17 AM

I am planning to install w7 on an ssd, then delete the windows folder onthe hdd to remove the os from the hdd. When that happens will i lose my game save files from the hdd?

More about : deleting windows hdd

Best solution

a c 119 G Storage
November 25, 2012 3:27:17 AM

First of all you can't delete the Windows folder from a hard drive, it's a system folder and it just won't let you delete it. It's kind of like a safety feature that prevents people from accidently deleting Windows. There are ways it can be done but back to your other question and yes unless you move the saved game folders you will lose them. The Steam games are not affected because all the settings are saved in the Steam cloud , same goes for Origin. Your random games that aren't afiliated with any cloud service will be lost if the user folders are not moved or the whole game file.
November 25, 2012 3:29:58 AM

Ok I need some more details. Are you using the same copy of windows thats on the harddrive for the SSD?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 25, 2012 3:32:59 AM

why you dont copy a image on your ssd drive from the hdd then remove the hdd and restart the system with ssd as only drive take the hdd in a external box plug it in usb and format the hdd drive that will erase windows and everything that is on the drive
m
l
November 25, 2012 6:28:38 AM

scout_03 said:
why you dont copy a image on your ssd drive from the hdd then remove the hdd and restart the system with ssd as only drive take the hdd in a external box plug it in usb and format the hdd drive that will erase windows and everything that is on the drive

The ssd is only 128gb while the hdd is 500gb

m
l
November 25, 2012 6:29:23 AM

Rockdpm said:
Ok I need some more details. Are you using the same copy of windows thats on the harddrive for the SSD?

I am. Same disc and product key.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 25, 2012 7:35:58 PM

does the ssd drive maker give you a way to copy os from hdd to ssd like the one whe use for hdd to new hdd that permit to resize drive partition and copy all the drive files
m
l
November 27, 2012 1:33:42 AM

Best answer selected by stevems.
m
l
!