New $1500-2000 Build

Alright, so this is my second thread here about a $1500 home build, and I'm trying to cram as much into this budget as possible, and I'd really appreciate some help. Also, an opinion on the two case options I have would be appreciated!

-------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next two weeks

BUDGET RANGE: approx. $1500 - $2000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: primarily for gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel/Nvidia

OVERCLOCKING: probably not

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I might stick my old 8800 in there for PHYSX

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Case
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

MotherBoard
ASUS P6TD Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

Processor Cooling
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

If you have suggestions for a better one please let me know (I'm not picky but one to go with a blue and black scheme would be a bonus :P)

OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound

Power Supply
Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply

Video Card
EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM

Hard Drive
1x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive ((NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR A GOOD BOOT DRIVE PLEASE!))

Boot Drive
1x Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2R5 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Optical Drive
LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM

OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Fan Controller
NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller

Total: 1,790.84

Cheers!
15 answers Last reply
More about 1500 2000 build
  1. This is just a personal choice and I know some who will disagree but i would split the hard drive up maybe 2, 1TB. Kinda a all your eggs in one basket kinda thing I stick with 2 and make small partitions on both to back up whats important. even if one disk totally burns out whats really important has a back up.
  2. illfindu said:
    This is just a personal choice and I know some who will disagree but i would split the hard drive up maybe 2, 1TB. Kinda a all your eggs in one basket kinda thing I stick with 2 and make small partitions on both to back up whats important. even if one disk totally burns out whats really important has a back up.

Thanks for the input. I actually though about that. In fact, I was going to have a 60-70 GB SSD that would contain my OS and a TB drive for my storage, but I saw the 6.0 GB/s 2 TB drive and thought "Why not." I'll consider your input and go look around some more though. :] Thanks again!
  3. you wont see any benefits from sata 6.0, i would go get an ssd instead. i'd also change your card to the 460, its much better value than the 465. other than that everything seems great.

im just wondering if you need the i7. if you're on a budget, those things take up a lot of your money and leave you scrambling for the rest. imo, an i5 is more than enough nowadays for most home users, and even with stock cooling you can get a decent overclock. its a shame getting an i7 and not overclocking it though :P
  4. Lol thanks iTouch, i just finished updating my post actually.

I went with 2 Seagate's @ 3.0, and upgraded my card to a 470, and added a fan controller. If I get a good enough cooler I just might have to crank it up a weeeee bit. ;P Which is also where I need help. Any suggestions for a high quality i7 compatible cooler?
  5. depends how much you want to spend on the cooler one of the best air coolers out there is the noctua NH-D14 but it is pricy and it is huge, another choice is the thermalright venomous x rt or the thermalright silver arrow, but the best cooler price vs performance IMO is the coolermaster hyper 212+ you can get it for $30, but it is overpriced on newegg so dont get it there
  6. the frio s a good cooler though
  7. The Antec CP-850 is a far better (more power, (will handle SLI 470's, it's quieter, has better specs) PSU and made specifically for that case
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371025

The Prolimatech Megahalems is comparably priced and the defcato best of breed. Scythe Mugen 2100 best budget model
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=544&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=13
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242001

Grab the P6X58D-E w/ USB 3 and SATA III in combo w/ the i7-930 and save $25
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.466124

CAS8 Memory for $156 seems pricey considering the following

CAS 7 $156 after $20 MIR http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145286
    CAS 7 $155 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226155
    CAS 7 $166 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226030

Every HD manufacturer creates a clunker every few years and the 7200.11 was Seagates "bomb". Avoid it like a e-mail from a Nigerian widow. Get the 7200.12 for the quietest and lowest temp hi performance drive on the market.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

Consider an SSD for $240
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227611

Might wanna check this out GTX 460 OC's surpasses 470 and at a helluva proce per FPS

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=577&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=16

Quote:
    The GF104-equipped GTX 460 already comes with an impressive stock clock speed of 675/1350 MHz, with the GDDR5 running at 900 MHz (1800 DDR). Putting this into perspective, these speed fall between the GeForce GTX 470 and GTX 480 (closer to the latter). Now comes the fun: overclocking the GeForce GTX 460 is as easy as its ever been.

* $150 Radeon HD 5770 costs $7.14 per FPS
    * $200 GeForce GTX 460 costs $7.03 per FPS (768MB version)
    * $220 GeForce GTX 460 costs $7.12 per FPS (1GB version)
    * $230 ASUS ENGTX460 TOP costs $6.48 per FPS (1GB version)
    * $200 Radeon HD 5830 costs $7.90 per FPS
    * $250 GeForce GTX 465 costs $8.35 per FPS
    * $290 Radeon HD 5850 costs $8.97 per FPS
    * $320 GeForce GTX 470 costs $8.49 per FPS
  8. the megahalems is a good cooler, but it is bleeping ugly and you'll have to look at it whenever you look through your case window. i sacrificed a few degrees at load and went for the V8 which is quite overpriced for its performance but imo is one of the best looking coolers out there. aesthetics means something to me i guess. the thing about the h50 is that it's a watercooler when antec cases are designed for air.
  9. I aggree with Jack, actually i avoid Seagate all together. If you check the home page there is even a article about how Seagate has the highest crash rate according to numbers from a data recovery place, its from Russia but seeing as how iv had problems with them and know others who have it seems international. Again just a point of reference there not awful just some thing like Western Digital is better.
  10. na go for a samsung spinpoint
  11. illfindu said:
    I aggree with Jack, actually i avoid Seagate all together. If you check the home page there is even a article about how Seagate has the highest crash rate according to numbers from a data recovery place, its from Russia but seeing as how iv had problems with them and know others who have it seems international. Again just a point of reference there not awful just some thing like Western Digital is better.

That's the deadline, what the article says is completely different. The high failure rate is for one particular year and the data is skewed by the high failure rate of the firmware on the 7200.11's Excluding the 7200.11's Deagate fares as well as most of the vendors. For a look at failure rates "over the years" pop on over to storagereview.com and look at their reliability database where you'll see the the one of the early WD Raptor lines for example has one of the highest failure rates of all time. Every manufacturer produces a dud now and then it it would be unfair to judge Seagate's overall reliability over the years on the 7200.11 as it would be to judge WD on that Raptor.
  12. itouchedyou said:
    the megahalems is a good cooler, but it is bleeping ugly and you'll have to look at it whenever you look through your case window. i sacrificed a few degrees at load and went for the V8 which is quite overpriced for its performance but imo is one of the best looking coolers out there. aesthetics means something to me i guess. the thing about the h50 is that it's a watercooler when antec cases are designed for air.

The H50 performs 5C below the Mega in part because it blocks case air flow. I found the Megashadow quite striking in appearance however despite the case window on the 1200, you simply can't see much but the fans and the top.
  13. Thanks so much for your input guys. I'm brand new to this so any advice you can give helps immensely.

I have a question about the Mega though: I've only seen "recommended fans" I haven't seen any actual fans that come with it. Does it include them? Also, is it compatible with what I have now?

Changes-------------

EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

1x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive ((NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR A GOOD BOOT DRIVE PLEASE!))

Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler
  14. With a core i7, I would at least go for 2x 460 or one 470 (to which you can add a second one later on), rather than one lightly overclocked version. Keep in mind that the regular version can be overclocked to those levels as well and it saves you some money.

Cheapest 470 goes for $290, in my opinion a bit too close to the 460 (the one you listed $260) but then again there is the brand preference to consider...
  15. Cheapest 470 goes for 260 lol. MSI, look it up on Newegg. Smokes the 460 in terms of value.

IMO this build is wasting a lot of money for being on the X58 platform.

Buy lower voltage ram before speed, 1600 speed over any other speeds, and latency should be the very bottom of your concerns (very minimal performance benefit).
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product