Perplexing Drive Letter Crisis

Koetsu

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
First, some background on my specific situation.
I've had Windows 7 on my Hard Drive for a while but I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and at the same time, clean installed on a new solid state drive. My intent was to keep everything on my hard drive intact so that when I get Windows 8 running on the SSD, I'd just relink the proper User folders.
So I have Windows 8 up and running on the SSD, but when I go back to check on my Windows 7, I see drive letters have been switched around. The SSD is on the E: drive and the CD drive is on the D: drive. Back in Windows 8, the SSD is the C: drive and the hard drive is the D: drive. Of course, when I linked my user folders back, which actually worked, I noticed the desktop had some missing shortcuts because they technically never existed, or something? On Windows 7, the shortcuts actually updated to the D: drive link shortcut except a few and it's just a mess.
This breaking of shortcuts sounds like a problem that could get much worse later on. What did I do wrong and how could I correct this for both OSes?

Koetsu

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hmm, then according to that, everything should be fine as long as I stick to one OS. This is a problem almost exclusively for the desktop though and perhaps there is still a better solution? Sharing the desktop has also left a few files in my Dropbox as locked with no way to unlock them. If more permission errors happen by this, how do I fix the permission settings?

Koetsu

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Yeah, I have admin privileges and found the Share With option. Hopefully that does the trick.
Also, perhaps I set something up wrong in the bios? Is it normal for the SSD to not show up in the boot order?