Unable to detect wd external hard disk in windows

Hi Friends,

i am WD passport 1 TB hard disk, recently i am facing problem with the hard disk. am unable access the drive, but in the disk manager, am able to see the drive info.
But when i use with Linux m/c, it is accessible. am able to play videos also.

can u pl guys help me on this.......
3 answers Last reply
More about unable detect external hard disk windows
  1. If it's shown in Disk Management it may just need a drive-letter assigning to it:

Right-click that ribbon and choose "Change Drive Letter & Paths".

Click "New"

Choose a letter.

Click 'OK'
  2. THANKS ALOT .. THIS SOLUTION IS 100% WORKING.. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TYPE THE CODE AS IT IS MENTIONED AND WAIT TILL IT AUTOMATICALLY FINISHES.. DON'T INTERRUPT THE PROCEDURE... YOU DON'T NEED TO LOOSE YOUR VALUABLE BACKUPS ..

The fault is with the partition table on your external hard drive. You can fix it by doing the following:

Open an elevated command prompt (Start menu → type cmd → hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

Type in the following command and press Enter:

chkdsk E: Replace E: with the letter of the drive you want to check.

After it finishes and gives you a report on bad sectors, retype the command, but add the /F switch:

chkdsk E: /F That should fix it. It took about 30 minutes for me, and when the process was done my files were still there.
    HDD S.M.A.R.T Test with CrystalDiskInfo
    What is S.M.A.R.T S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) is used to test a Hard drives reliability and to determine if it is failing. Tutorial: We are going to use CrystalDiskInfo to view your hard drive's S.M.A.R.T. data... Read More
  3. I had the same problem, and I've solved it :bounce:
    What I had: my "WD elements play" was visible from my laptop (with Windows 7) via USB cable, I could copy files from/to the device, but it couldn't detect the HDD on it's own. I've connected it into another lattop with Windows 7, and drive letter did not appeared in 'My computer'. In the disk manager drive was visible, and it's partition was shown as "recovery partition" (but I know that it should be NTFS partition).
    I booted up my laptop with Linux, and the partition type of this drive was shown as "id 27, Hidden NTFS WinRE". It appears that the partition type was changed opon Windows boot (thanks, MS).
    Then I simply changed the partition type to "id: 7, HPFS/NTFS/exFAT" via fdisk (without reformatting), and now it's successfully detected by WD.
    I hope this info will be helpful for someone who is facing the same problem.
    Cheers!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Storage