twistter

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Hello,
What could cause a PSU to fry in 30Sec. Was replacing a PSU on a friends Comp. New PSU in, tryed to boot, 30 sec and it fryed, Got no codes, no image on screen. Noticed CPU fan did not com on but that was sec before it stoped so I did not have time to hit power off. Could it have over heated and killed the PSU ??

Solution
YEP, Sorry to say that makes perfect sense. Too bad he didn't have the thermal throttling turned on in bios it might have saved it for him. Oh was it on? That way we'll know if that kind of stuff actually works. Anyway, you're saying he wants a rebuild and the only surviving team members were the ram? What about the video card(s)? If you give us some price points with that I'm sure we can help you with what you want. You specifically want the MSI board? Why that particular processor? After that you list OEM processor, why?
MSI Socket AM2+, AMD 790X + SB600 Chipset Here for $100 But that board only supports 800 memory
AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core Can be found here (Tigerdirect) for only $70 Oh I see, It lists it...

suteck

Distinguished
Lots of different things will cause a PSU to burn up quickly. A short somewhere with your power cords or a short to case is most common. Was it a new or old PSU you were replacing it with? Did you power it up first to make sure it was good? If it's been sitting around did you blow all the dust out first? Possibility it was damp/wet inside? These are the most common ones that I know of. Could be a short on the motherboard - that's why you were replacing it for your friend? Dropped screw inside shorted across the mobo. Take your pick. But if you try it again I would take the motherboard out, check it thoroughly, VERY THOROUGHLY, magnifying glass and all. Then, while it's still out try powering it up. Keeping your finger on the power supply on/off switch probably won't help if you don't find the problem first and try it again.

twistter

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

Was a brand new PSU, Cheap thing mind you. Nothing fell on MB. He returned it and got a decent cooler master, its not the corsair I would rather work with but it will do the job. Afraid to connect it all and blow this one too. is there a way to test a MB or CPU ? I will investigate some more for sure before I connect everything vack up and try again.

suteck

Distinguished
Why were you replacing it in the first place? Did the original short out all of a sudden, then your replacement did the same thing? It might be just a cheap psu but if the original was working and then just burned up and then the replacement burned up right away then I think you got a bigger problem on your hands. I would still pull the mobo out and check everything including all the case standoffs. If you take it out of the case leaving all the front panel header wires attached and lay it down carefully so it's not touching anything conductive or carrying a static charge that would be one way to breadboard it. But you should be very careful and watch the board and psu carefully while trying it. And take a look at the link rolli59 refers to, it might give you some pointers.

twistter

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Was replacing a dead PS, but it also shorted out as soon as power was turned on. Tested the MB and CPU with some other parts I have and both MB and CPU are fried. Looks like the CPU fan died witch over heated the CPU, witch fried and the MB suffered the same faith followed by the PS. Not sure if this makes sence but these were then end results. Its an AMD chipset AM2+ to be exact. Budy wants to fix it for a little as posible. Ram is still good witch surprised me. So to keep cost down AM2+ board with an AMD quad core. Ram is DDR2. Here is what I had in mind. Keep in mind that he uses this mostly for gamming, World of warcraft mostly. MB - MSI Socket AM2+, AMD 790X + SB600 Chipset, CrossFireX, Dual Channel DDR2 1066/800/667/533Mhz, 2x PCI Express x16 Slots, 4x SATA 3.0Gb/s, 7x USB 2.0, GigaLAN, 8 Channel HD Audio, eSATA, IEEE1394 ATX, CPU - AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core Processor - 2.40GHz, 4MB Cache, 3600 MT/s FSB, Quad-Core, Socket AM2+, OEM Processor. Any thoughts.

suteck

Distinguished
YEP, Sorry to say that makes perfect sense. Too bad he didn't have the thermal throttling turned on in bios it might have saved it for him. Oh was it on? That way we'll know if that kind of stuff actually works. Anyway, you're saying he wants a rebuild and the only surviving team members were the ram? What about the video card(s)? If you give us some price points with that I'm sure we can help you with what you want. You specifically want the MSI board? Why that particular processor? After that you list OEM processor, why?
MSI Socket AM2+, AMD 790X + SB600 Chipset Here for $100 But that board only supports 800 memory
AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core Can be found here (Tigerdirect) for only $70 Oh I see, It lists it as OEM Gotcha :lol:
So your only looking at around $170, that's not to bad. Is that about what you were thinking? Are those what he had and wants to stick with them or is that already the upgrade?

So those are parts you listed - You will also need a CPU cooler Do you like air or water?
Here's an air cooler for Only $20 some people are starting to like. As long as we're not talking about overclocking.
Or this one if you're not to stingy on cooling for $52 from XP Gear

Or some water - These are factory sealed and you just connect them like you would and air cooler - nothing to check or fill or worry about spills.
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H70 For $100 and you can do SOME overclocking with these.
Coolit Domino A.L.C. CPU Cooler for only $70 and if you have a clear window on you case you'll love this one - it even has an audible alarm for high temps. I actually use this one when I build computer as a tester for stock to moderate overclocks.

So If you want others choices or these components are what you got your heart set on let us know. Sorry, you asked any thoughts? What speed is the memory that survived? if it's 800 then ok but if it's faster you will probably want a different board. But I couldn't find any that looked any better for cheaper for that socket.

Solution

twistter

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
The parts I noted we just based on what I could find with DDR2 ram. The ram that he had is Crucial BG1121lyb. Nothing says if its 800 or less and its seams 100$ is alot for him at this time. This new board will still ofer him some room to upgrade in the future unlike the old Acer MB he was using. Prcice is a big issue in this rebuild. His Video card is an EVGA 8800GTS . I am up for suggestions but trying to keep it as cheap as possible yet able to play games with no issues.