460 SLI Help

KevinLK

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Hello,

I am trying to build a new gaming rig with two GTX 460's setup in SLI. I am using a PX58D-E motherboard, a Seasonic M12D 850w PSU, and the case is a Lian-Li PC-P50.

This is my first build and definitely my first experience with SLI and I'm a little confused as to which cables to use and how to deal with so many cables. Apparently each 460 requires two 6 pin connections. This seems as though I will be left with a TON of cables. Can anyone give advice as to how to connection the 460's to the PSU in the most efficient way and how to deal with all these cables almost entirely blocking my front fan?

Solution
^+1.... you'll want to try and setup a good cable management setup (Review my "Step-by-Step Guide" in my signature for some build help.

As for connectors, you want to connect two 6-pin PCIe connectors to one GPU and two 6+2-pin PCIe connectors to your other GPU.
pci6_2.jpg

Also, don't forget to connect the SLI bridge to the GPU's that came with your motherboard. It connects on top of the cards on the little looking PCI slot.

tecmo34

Administrator
^+1.... you'll want to try and setup a good cable management setup (Review my "Step-by-Step Guide" in my signature for some build help.

As for connectors, you want to connect two 6-pin PCIe connectors to one GPU and two 6+2-pin PCIe connectors to your other GPU.
pci6_2.jpg

Also, don't forget to connect the SLI bridge to the GPU's that came with your motherboard. It connects on top of the cards on the little looking PCI slot.

Solution