Sign in with
Your question

GTX 480 SLI for 1920x1200 - overkill?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2010 3:56:35 PM

Well I have all my components in place except for the graphic card. My board (Gigabyte X58A-UD7) has 4 pci slots so I can do two things -

1) Buy 1 Zotac GTX 480 AMP! since it occupies 3 slots

2) Buy 2 MSI GTX 480 Vanilla and sli

So basically I am wondering whether it is overkill or not to be buying 2 cards or should I go for the zotac since it is cooler and generates less noise for 1920x1200 resolution? I currently have a MSI gtx 275 Twin Frozr OC from my old rig. And really, how loud and hot would the sli really be??? I have 6GB DDR3 RAM with an i7 930, so will the performance of the gfx be throttled by the CPU or not?

Thanks
a b Î Nvidia
July 18, 2010 4:12:04 PM

one card is enough for 1920x1200

less heat, less noise, less driver & patch issues

m
l
July 18, 2010 11:03:08 PM

+1^ one card is more than enough, 2 cards will only create a whole lot more heat and use a lot of power and the noise wont be all that comfortable either, and you'll only brake the refresh rate of your monitor giving you tearing or force you to use v sync and then you might as well just pick one instead of 2.
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2010 9:52:54 AM

combatpro said:
+1^ one card is more than enough, 2 cards will only create a whole lot more heat and use a lot of power and the noise wont be all that comfortable either, and you'll only brake the refresh rate of your monitor giving you tearing or force you to use v sync and then you might as well just pick one instead of 2.

Man -O- Man, if I had a nickel for every post Ive seen about fan noise being loud! lol - Do you guys play late @ night with your speakers barely turned up? I suggest getting some headphones then. Otherwise, quit saying the fan noise is that loud because honestly, its not. Even with 2 GTX 480's, I can not hear the fan noise over my speakers.

To the OP; I had one GTX 480 and decided to buy another one because I happen to get a real good deal. It really depends on what games you are playing to be honest. If you want high fps in Just Cause 2, Crysis, Metro 2033, Alien vs Predator etc. or even Batman AA with everything turn to maximum and still hit 60 plus fps with a min of 40 then yeah; 2 GTX 480's are the way to go.

If you space them out on the board, using afterburner; you will only see a 1 or 2 degree change between the two cards in sli. Also; they scale great with no screen tear even without Vsync in most newer games.

Another good example would be BFBC 2, I was hitting close to 60 fps but during huge explosions, I noticed a drop under 30 fps just a few times. The same with Crysis. With SLI, nothing drops below 45 fps @ that resolution. Plus, I have the option of using 3 monitors in the future.

My temps do not get higher then 79 degrees on full load on either card.
m
l
July 19, 2010 10:21:09 AM

Id say future proof. 1 card might only be able to run 1920x1200 for two years or so whilst 2 can run it for longer xD
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2010 11:31:09 AM

1 GTX480 is more than enough for most of games at your resolution, but if you want to maxed out "high-end" games like Crysis then go for 2x GTX 480 then...
m
l
July 20, 2010 7:48:18 PM

So which card then? The MSI reference or the Zotac modified version? Keeping in mind that with the zotac I can only have one card and with the MSI I could add one more in the future... I'm still a bit unclear on that front.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
July 20, 2010 7:53:22 PM

i go with the zotac (even though my last two cards have been MSI)

Cooler and less noise are very important when talking about the GTX 480. I've read that new Nvidia flagships are coming that will be cooler and less noisy then the current GTX 480 & 470...but no one has a time table other then "soon"
m
l
July 20, 2010 8:08:38 PM

ct1615 said:
i go with the zotac (even though my last two cards have been MSI)

Cooler and less noise are very important when talking about the GTX 480. I've read that new Nvidia flagships are coming that will be cooler and less noisy then the current GTX 480 & 470...but no one has a time table other then "soon"

How much cooler? How much less noise? The Zotac takes up 3 slots, that IMO is rediculous...

If the OP ever wanted to upgrade to SLI, hes SOL! As I stated before, speakers easily overshadow any noise from the GPU fans when playing games unless you play games muted.

When surfing the Internet or other tasks, the GPU fan is pretty much silent. I would suggest using common sense, do you want to add another card later or not? The answer is pretty simple
m
l
!