Sign in with
Your question
Solved

More 1333Mhz or Less 2000Mhz

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
July 3, 2011 8:13:50 PM

I am building a new PC and I'm running into a deilema. The only MOBO I could find that I can get shipped to Canada that supports what I want is:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

Cheifly it has socket AM3 for a phenom AMD CPU.
It also has SLi, has no integrated ATI chips and has PCI-E 2.0.

It supports DDR3, but the problem is it only lists 1066 MHZ, 1333MHZ, and 2200MHZ.

The 1066MHz and 1333MHz seem to slow compaired to what is availible for a slight increase in price, but on the other had I can't even find any 2200 MHZ. The nearest 2000MH or 2133MHz are like 100 bucks just for 4 gigs.

Ideally I'd go with 1600MHZ because they seem to have the best of price and power, I could get 8 gigs of it for like 80 bucks. So I have two questions:

1. Can I install RAM that runs at speeds not listed as supported by the MOBO and if so will this come with risks or losses?

2. Would it be better to get more capacity of a slower RAM or less capacity of a faster ram EX. 8 GIG 1333MH vs 4 GIG 2200MHZ.

More about : 1333mhz 2000mhz

a c 128 } Memory
July 3, 2011 10:27:19 PM

The 1600 will run fine at 1333. Never heard of any board running 2200 ram unless the cpu is overclocked. Get the 1600 even if it runs at 1333.
July 4, 2011 1:28:51 AM

First, it's the CPU's memory controller that determines what memory speeds you can run. Second, some AMD CPUs can support speeds between 1333 and 2000, but only through manual FSB overclocking or changing the memory divider itself. By default, most AMD AM3 CPUs will attempt to set memory speed to 1333, but only if the DIMMs support it. If you were to use 1066 DIMMs, that's what it would be set to.

Memory begins to provide very diminishing returns as you go past 1600MHz due to the increased timings that have to be used for stability. Really, anything beyond 1600 is sort of just MHz bragging rights. It isn't always a clear indication of significant performance gains.

When comparing RAM of the same frequency (MHz), check their CAS timings. The lower the CAS timings, the faster the memory.

And why limit yourself to tigerdirect.ca? What's wrong with other vendors? Here's the same board from two competitors that sell it cheaper:

DirectCanada - $92.56 CAD: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD3234&v...

CanadaComputers - $99.99 CAD: http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_34...

Finally, if building a new AMD system right now, why not build something that hasn't hit it's end of life? AMD isn't going to be producing AM3 CPUs much longer at all. They've moved on to AM3+. If it's SLI support you're truly after, then guess what? You're in luck! The AM3+ 990X and 990FX chipsets support SLI, not just CrossFireX.
Related resources
July 4, 2011 4:23:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback Raz. Tigerdirect was the only Canadian site I was aware of, but I figured there must be others, last time I made a comp was 5 years ago.

Yeah I looked at the sabertooth 990X http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD0472&v... 990FX&manufacture=ASUS On tigerdirect but it seemed a bit too pricey for a MOBO, I am on a budget here, hoping to keep it under 1200, taxes and shipping on that will mean 1500.. Plus I don't think I'll ever have 4 GPU's lol.

Any suggestions for a MOBO then? Its kind of the only variable at this point. Just gonna buy the best nvidia G card I can that fits budget, prob terabyte HD, thinking AMD 1100 Six Core. 750W PSU. Ram will depend on the MOBO, obviously it will be corsair or maybe patriot, havn't tried that stuff and I'm thinking 8 gigs.

And yeah I noticed the timings of the high MHZ ram are considerably higher. Thought this would make the MHZ increase kind of pointless but wasnt sure.

Best solution

July 4, 2011 10:56:40 PM

If your primary purpose is to build a gaming system that lasts a solid 2 or 3 years, I recommend skipping AMD's current offerings altogether and going with a Sandy-Bridge build. And yes, even the 6-core CPUs.

When it comes to gaming, the lower-end locked-multiplier i5 Sandy-Bridge CPUs can equal and even outperform the current AMD CPUs. The unlocked ones (K-series) put AMD's AM3 offerings to shame. When they're overclocked, there's no contest. And they overclock very well and rather easily. (Though an aftermarket cooler is pretty much a necessity.)

Honestly, unless you'll also be running some heavily multi-threaded productivity applications, the 6-core AMD chips can't show off the benefits of their 2 extra cores. In general, you'd actually get equal gaming performance using an AMD 955 or 965 quad-core as you would using a hexa-core. And with the Sandy-Bridge CPUs handing such AMD CPUs their hats on their way out the door, they are the better choice.

With the above in mind, you may want to take a step back to consider alternatives and research their differences, advantages, pricing, etc.. Take a peek at the Systems forum for build guidance. You can flip through numerous builds of others and find explanations about the decisions they've made. When you're finally ready to work on a final build of your own, use this thread as a guide.

Also, you may wish to check a couple other Canadian sites as you get closer to a final build decision. They are Newegg.ca and NCIX.com
July 11, 2011 12:33:03 AM

Best answer selected by drunkenseagull.
!