Managing Bots

Hi,

In Onslaught, is it possible to tell the bots on your team to attack or
defend a specific node?

(I know that you can order them to assume an offensive/defensive
strategy, but it'd be much more useful if I could focus them on specific
targets. Presently, I find that they tend to wonder off and
attack/defend the "wrong" nodes.)

Kris

Tim

> In Onslaught, is it possible to tell the bots on your team to attack or
> defend a specific node?
>
> (I know that you can order them to assume an offensive/defensive
> strategy, but it'd be much more useful if I could focus them on specific
> targets. Presently, I find that they tend to wonder off and
> attack/defend the "wrong" nodes.)

You can tell them to hold a hold a position, And they will hold the
position that you standing on.

> No. Makes them pretty useless, since as you say they usually do the
> wrong thing. Tactically, they never get beyond newbie. So, go find
> humans :)

Indeed. I was wondering because I've found myself stuck on teams with
bots in the past ... and due to their complete ignorance of strategy,
they are, by far, liabilities rather than assets. ;)

Kris

Steph

"Tim" <timkimberley@cogeco.ca> wrote in

>> In Onslaught, is it possible to tell the bots on your team to attack
>> or defend a specific node?
>>
>> (I know that you can order them to assume an offensive/defensive
>> strategy, but it'd be much more useful if I could focus them on
>> specific targets. Presently, I find that they tend to wonder off and
>> attack/defend the "wrong" nodes.)
>
> You can tell them to hold a hold a position, And they will hold the
> position that you standing on.

I've used that command in original UT, for DOM matches. Seems to work
pretty well.

stePH
--
If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
We are the chick. The world is our egg.

Suddenly, Kris Vorwerk sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> In Onslaught, is it possible to tell the bots on your team to attack or
> defend a specific node?

No. Makes them pretty useless, since as you say they usually do the
wrong thing. Tactically, they never get beyond newbie. So, go find
humans :)
--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Am Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:19:35 -0500 schrieb Kris Vorwerk:

> Hi,
>
> In Onslaught, is it possible to tell the bots on your team to attack or
> defend a specific node?
>
> (I know that you can order them to assume an offensive/defensive
> strategy, but it'd be much more useful if I could focus them on specific
> targets. Presently, I find that they tend to wonder off and
> attack/defend the "wrong" nodes.)
>

> Kris

No need to say that it is a multiplayer game? Map Designers got no need to
program the Bots to a human behaviour. (Would be impossible)

But I agree, I hate playing on Servers with matching Bots, u gonna lose.
They're even more stupid than newbies.

Klaus

Suddenly, Kris Vorwerk sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> Indeed. I was wondering because I've found myself stuck on teams with
> bots in the past ... and due to their complete ignorance of strategy,
> they are, by far, liabilities rather than assets. ;)

Yeap, which is why I tend to avoid servers with bots these days.
Especially when all the humans end up on one team due to attrition and
are absurdly pleased with themselves... until I pipe up and say "er guys
it's 8 to 2..." :)

Pity really. Seems like a couple more orders would have made them a lot
more useful, without needing to upgrade the AI much - defend or attack
specific nodes, as you say.

--

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:18:16 +0100, Klaus Bregel <space-orbit@gmx.de>
wrote:

>Am Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:19:35 -0500 schrieb Kris Vorwerk:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In Onslaught, is it possible to tell the bots on your team to attack or
>> defend a specific node?
>>
>> (I know that you can order them to assume an offensive/defensive
>> strategy, but it'd be much more useful if I could focus them on specific
>> targets. Presently, I find that they tend to wonder off and
>> attack/defend the "wrong" nodes.)
>>

>> Kris
>
>No need to say that it is a multiplayer game? Map Designers got no need to
>program the Bots to a human behaviour. (Would be impossible)
>
>But I agree, I hate playing on Servers with matching Bots, u gonna lose.
>They're even more stupid than newbies.
>
>Klaus

Until you get to the endgame. They are surprisingly good at defending
their last node. In that respect they are much better than a lot of
newbies.