Online Photo Albums

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 30, 2004 5:52:41 PM

Hi all

Do you all use online photo albums for managing your photos. If so which
are the best sites to try as I would like to evaluate them and then choose
one to use.

Thanks

More about : online photo albums

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 5:52:42 PM

Nick,

Have you ever considered hosting a photo gallery in your own web space?
With many hosting providers offering around 1 gigabyte of storage with
their inexpensive plans, the option is becoming more and more
attractive. One of the biggest advantages is that you own your
gallery- you can customize it, change it or move it until the end of
time without being subjected to someone's business model. Both options
let you share photos/comments/etc. over the web, but only one option
lets you burn the gallery to a CD and put it away for future
generations.

I am one of the authors of an inexpensive package called B*Gallery that
allows you to create and publish extensive template-based web galleries
like this sample: http://www.b-gallery.biz/samples/ultra_1/
I'd encourage you to visit us at http://www.b-gallery.biz if you're
interested. Either way, good luck and happy hunting!

Best regards,
Brian W. Young
Cerebrosoft

Nick Thorley wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Do you all use online photo albums for managing your photos. If so
which
> are the best sites to try as I would like to evaluate them and then
choose
> one to use.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 5:52:42 PM

Are you a pro or hobbyist? I am a hobbyist and use
www.imagestation.com - you can store your original fullsize pics, view
smaller sizes in albums and you (or others) can have them
printed/mailed to wherever you choose, or you can download them to
print on your own printer.

"Nick Thorley" <nick.thorley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.12.30.14.52.41.671728@btinternet.com...
> Hi all
>
> Do you all use online photo albums for managing your photos. If so
> which
> are the best sites to try as I would like to evaluate them and then
> choose
> one to use.
>
> Thanks
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 5:52:42 PM

Nick Thorley <nick.thorley@btinternet.com> writes:

> Do you all use online photo albums for managing your photos. If so which
> are the best sites to try as I would like to evaluate them and then choose
> one to use.

Hi, Nick,

I'm not sure from your question, but just to make sure, I encourage you
_not_ to use an online service to store your only copies of your photos.
("Managing" doesn't speak to me about what your intentions are -- sorry.)
Although it hasn't happened in the last few years, it used to be a regular
occurance here to find panicked posts about services that disappeared off
the face of the web with no notice, all images placed there gone forever.

I strongly encourage you to maintain at least an archive on your own
premises, and if your images are valuable, at least a couple of archives,
one (or more) off the premises.

For online services, be sure to read the terms of service. Some claim an
ownership interest in images stored on site to use for advertising, some
allow anyone to buy prints or coffeemugs and such with your photos. Some do
not store the image unaltered, and you'll be unable to retrieve a file
which is identical to the one you uploaded.

December 30, 2004 5:52:42 PM

I use pbase www.pbase.com to HOST and SHARE photo's. I do NOT use them to
*manage* my photo's, or to store them.

There are a TON of sites that allow one to upload, share, and even print.
Some are free, but most charge. Pictage is one of the more professional
tools out there for pro's to market and sell their photography online.

I use iMatch to organize, catalog, and manage my photo's.

Ron

"Nick Thorley" <nick.thorley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.12.30.14.52.41.671728@btinternet.com...
> Hi all
>
> Do you all use online photo albums for managing your photos. If so which
> are the best sites to try as I would like to evaluate them and then choose
> one to use.
>
> Thanks
December 30, 2004 5:52:43 PM

RonFrank wrote:

> I use pbase www.pbase.com to HOST and SHARE photo's.

pbase is a popular one that works well & looks good. Beware places that
don't have enough bandwidth to load pics quickly, that can happen to new
companies as they become overloaded or at busy hours & it's awful. It
costs money to provide that bandwidth.

I set up my own system on my own domain using PHP which I really like
because it's just what I want. Prefabricated solutions will invariably
have lots of extra junk that you don't need. pbase is the only decent
looking prefabbed thing out there. With your own domain you can use
something like "Gallery" which also uses PHP & takes some time &
geekness to set up but is very customizable & powerful.

This is my custom PHP based gallery:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/
It just sort of goes on & on in nested folders which is how I put the
images out but I'll have to figure out a way to highlight best photos by
category that references the originals in their shoot date folders if
someone chooses to explore more of a particular shoot.

CodedColor is one system I looked at that can be used to organize &
annotate your folders which allows these custom sub-sets from the larger
collection without copying the images but it's very complicated &
proprietary & outputs fixed html which cannot be modified without
reloading the entire gallery, etc.
December 31, 2004 8:01:53 PM

paul wrote:
> This is my custom PHP based gallery:
> http://www.edgehill.net/1/
> ...I'll have to figure out a way to highlight best photos by
> category that references the originals in their shoot date folders if
> someone chooses to explore more of a particular shoot...

I've just made that change, now I can easily set up a collection of the
best pics at the top with more extensive sub-galleries below.

For example:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Southwest
It's like making shortcuts to the pictures. Clicking a shortcut picture
opens up a window to the source gallery with more from that shoot.
January 6, 2005 7:32:52 AM

>Do you all use online photo albums for managing your photos.

Not for managing photos, just for presenting web friendly copies so others can
see them. Picture Trail and Web Shots are two good ones.

2-Ton Toni
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:33:49 PM

Nick Thorley wrote:
>Do you all use online photo albums for managing your photos.

actually, I am still looking for a software to use in my own host area which
allows different people to set up their own gallery and albums below that, to
provide proper security and passwords, to provide a url for each photo, and to
provide me.. the host, management software for the users galleries, etc.

iow, something like the old PhotoPoint or the successor but still deceased,
PhotoIsland.com.

suggestions??

thanks
chas

--
Charles L Hamilton, chasm@texas.net Houston, TX
for swapping, selling, buying firearms related stuff