Sign in with
Your question

Put original hard drive back in laptop?

Last response: in Storage
November 25, 2012 1:00:26 PM

Hello,,i recently took my hard drive from my laptop to use as external.I decided not to use it that way,so can i put it back internally,and will it work as it did previously?At the mment there is no internal hd installed.
Thanks in advance.
a b D Laptop
a c 317 G Storage
November 25, 2012 1:18:10 PM

Did you format it when you removed it? If not, you should be able to just reattach, boot up and update Windows.

If you formatted, then reformat it, re-attach it and use your Windows install disk to re-install, also download all the latest drivers for the laptop from the manufacturer site. If you don't have a Windows install disk, was it a Windows 7 install before?
November 25, 2012 6:04:23 PM

RealBeast said:
Did you format it when you removed it? If not, you should be able to just reattach, boot up and update Windows.

If you formatted, then reformat it, re-attach it and use your Windows install disk to re-install, also download all the latest drivers for the laptop from the manufacturer site. If you don't have a Windows install disk, was it a Windows 7 install before?

HI and thanks for your quick reply.
The drive was put into a caddy by the guy at the shop.However he did say that everything from my laptop was still on the drive.When i used it briefly as external on another laptop,everything was recognised by windows.It is running Windows 7,but somehow i dont seem to have the original disc.
Thanks again.
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 25, 2012 6:13:24 PM

You may not have the original disks as the drive itself may have a pre-configured recovery partition whereby if your OS is pooched, upon bootup hit F12 (or some other key) and the system does the rest.
a b D Laptop
a c 317 G Storage
November 25, 2012 6:33:29 PM

tomdoo1 said:
HI and thanks for your quick reply.
The drive was put into a caddy by the guy at the shop.However he did say that everything from my laptop was still on the drive.When i used it briefly as external on another laptop,everything was recognized by windows.It is running Windows 7,but somehow i dont seem to have the original disc.
Thanks again.
Then you should be able to just put it back in and start up the laptop. You will have a number of Windows updates that you have missed.

As long as the SRP (system reserved partition) has not been changed you should not need a system repair disk, but once the machine is running you should make one just in case you need it in the future.

Many laptops no longer come with a Windows installation disk but that is not a big deal, as you can legally download a trial version of the same Windows install and do a re-installation on an OEM machine using the key on the machine tag followed by a phone activation. I've done it for many folks, although you won't need to do that stuff.
!